Powermac G5 running VERY slow

K

knightrdr

I am running a PowerMac G5 2.0 Dual processor with 1.5 GB of RAM. I am running Panther. The machine often gets into a funk where it just slows down incredibly. Email becomes excruciatingly sluggish as well as all other apps. Rebooting helps but the problem persists. What can I do? Is there an app that serves the same function as 'Process Viewer' does in the iMac? Give me a steer would you? Thanks in advance.

knightrdr :confused:

Reaction score
knightrdr said:
I am running a PowerMac G5 2.0 Dual processor with 1.5 GB of RAM. I am running Panther. The machine often gets into a funk where it just slows down incredibly. Email becomes excruciatingly sluggish as well as all other apps. Rebooting helps but the problem persists. What can I do? Is there an app that serves the same function as 'Process Viewer' does in the iMac? Give me a steer would you? Thanks in advance.

knightrdr :confused:

I have almost the identical machine and can tell you that ain't normal. First thing I would do is get in touch with who you bought it from and start complaining. If they can't/won't give you any help then try the apple support people.

One thought is i see you added a gig of ram to the 512 it came with. Are you sure the ram is compatable? Is it good quality ram or cheap stuff? The G5 is particular about ram. I tried installing some top quality Pc3200 433 ram and it wouldn't even boot untill I installed some Pc3200 400 ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you zapped the pram or repaired permisions? in the utilities folder, use activity monitor to view disk/cpu activity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.