should i be worried?

Reaction score
Hi i am new here and have just had a heart stopping moment!

my son (6) has just knocked a cup of coffee over my macbook whilst closed but on standby, i quickly wiped it down and found that some coffee had got inside, when i turned it round on it's side i had drips coming out from where the charger fits.

upon opening the macbook the white power light was on but nothing on sceen for about a minute nothing changed until the power light went off and then nothing!!! removed battery and refitted and still nothing. when i plug the charger in the charge light on the plug did not illuminate.

i then proceeded to to the bedroom and blast it with the hairdryer for half hour or so and then tried it.

success it worked!!!

my question is should i be worried of damage? or has mac got a shutdown mode for when these little accidents happen?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think you had a lucky escape there, good job that the lid was down.

It may be that the coffee temporarily shorted something, but at least it is working now

Keep the coffee a couple of feet away in future ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
it seems i have not been that lucky, although the machine is working the charging is still not, when i plug the charger in it lights really dim the scrren on the macbook gets brighter to suggest it's running on mains but next to the clock it says (not charging).

HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
So does it run off the mains with the battery in? If you take the battery out but plug it in does it run? Does it run on battery power?

Could be something as simple as calibrating the battery.

OP
G
Reaction score
it seems to run of the mains when battery is is because the percentage has stayed at 75% for the last hour or so, i have removed the battery and it runs on mains fine, but when i put battery back in it says (not charging)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sounds like the last vestiges of the coffee bug have left your system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
My girlfriend bought me this coffee cup safety thingy. Which you actually need to spin the ball around for awhile before you can drink your coffee. It was actually to prevent me from spilling coffee all over my papers and maybe worse my macbook!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.