iMac 24" - monitor issues

Reaction score
Hello Mac-Forums!

I am a recent switcher (4 months) and my first Mac is a lovely 24" Alu iMac. So far I have been really happy with this computer, but recently I have started to notice the monitor performance, and really think it is below par.

I know the 20" had some serious monitor issues so I decided to go with the 24" version. I come from a line of other LCD monitors, ranging from a crappy $200 17", 23" ViewSonic and my latest monitor (and still going strong) is the Dell 24" 2405. For some reason I thought the 24" iMac monitor would be superior to the mentioned monitors, but it's not really what I see.

Don't get me wrong it's bright, full of contrast and awesome colours, but when I go into details it seems rather "ugly". During the day I do not notice the errors that much due to reflections and light, but at night it becomes very clear that this monitor is behaving very "cheap".

I have searched the forums and it seems that some 24" versions do indeed have problems - especially the Chinese W8-models (I have one of those as well). I have attached a "simulation" of my problem, and I hope someone can confirm that this is normal, or that it seems more faulty than normal.

Right now I have no clue what to do. Do people return these units or do they live with them? I have no AppleCare at the moment, but I am wondering if this makes things easier? I just don't want to go trough several exchanges or similar... But if the AppleCare grants me onsite swapping or similar I would probably go trough with it and see what happens.

What have people done in similar situations?

Sorry for the long question and I really hope someone will look at my attachment and add some comments to the problem.

Thanks in advance
Thomas

monitor-problem.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 2gb RAM 60g HD
I had a very similar issue with mine, and called for a return authorization within 10 minutes of receiving it. It may be normal for these screens, but it is underperforming and faulty to me. If I were you, I would go ahead and buy Applecare now to be sure issues will be taken care of beyond the one year mark. This just seems to be a common issue with the 24" screens. I'm sure if you call them they will first have you reset PRAM and repair permissions, even though it has nothing to do with the problem :D . Onsite replacement of the LCD panel probably won't happen, I would think the easiest course of action is to take the unit into an Apple store (if one is near you), and show the tech the problem. Ask them very nicely to see another unit in store and see if it suffers from the same issues. Hopefully they will turn on a few to be sure you get one that is problem free in your exchange. Good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
I would think the easiest course of action is to take the unit into an Apple store (if one is near you), and show the tech the problem. Ask them very nicely to see another unit in store and see if it suffers from the same issues. Hopefully they will turn on a few to be sure you get one that is problem free in your exchange. Good luck!

Well it might be the best option. I have no clue how Apple support works and if they support you no matter where the computer is bought? I got it online from the MacShop - so with AppleCare I should be good to go, and be able to visit any Apple shop right?

But a 4 month old iMac is not entitled to be exchanged I reckon? Months at a repair shop seems more likely if I know my luck.....

Oh well, will have to see what they say. I would hate to not having an iMac... It's just a beauty looking away from the monitor issues..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.