Replaced old hard drive...now what?

Reaction score
Heres what happened...

My mom found out her MacBook had the blinking folder question mark thing...so after some research and the guys at the Genius Bar, found out the hard drive was done...

I decided to replace it myself.

The Computer is about 3 yrs old and was running Tiger when I picked it up and I installed Leopard on it instead about a 1.5 ago (or so). So in other words I have Leopard + Tiger disks...

I installed the new hard drive with no problems at all. And I even got to the point where I partitioned the hard drive and named it. This is where I'm stuck though. I put in the Leopard disk and nothing happens. It says something like "cannot find the older version" or something along those lines. After this I put in the Tiger disks, after a minute or so it spit the disk back out.

So now I have no idea what to do. I did my google / youtube search and found nothing for my problem.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it greatly.

I'm on AIM a lot, TM21fourT3 is the name if you want to help me out on there....thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
I put my Tiger disk in and once it decides to get the screen where you pick the language, it says it cannot be installed on my new hard drive.

It then says I have to restart my computer using either the Mac OS X 10.4.10 disk, or the Network Startup. I picked the disk one and once I restarted it it spit the disk out.

What do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 | 6 GB OCZ Platinum | RME HDSP9652
You need to boot to Tiger (or Leopard) DVD then run Disk Utility. Click on your new HDD in the left column, then select Partition on the right. Name your Partition (Macintosh HD), click the Options button below and make sure it is set to GUID if you're Intel, but I think you are PPC so choose Apple Partition Map. Also be sure the format type is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Once you've formatted and made a partition, exit Disk Utility. Now you should be able to install the OS to that partition without any problems.

**Just reread your post. I think you already know this, but in order to boot to the Leopard or Tiger DVD you need to hold the C key while booting.

OP
T
Reaction score
Alright, I did what everyone said, and I got as far as I did last night, nowhere.

The Leopard disk says it can't install because theres no other OS installed on my new hard drive. So I put in my Tiger disk and that can't install (it dosent give a reason why though). So I'm stuck.

Everything is partitioned and installed right and everything, just nothing will work for me. I'll be going to the Genius Bar again soon if I can't find an answer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 | 6 GB OCZ Platinum | RME HDSP9652
You will need a Retail version of the operating system. Maybe you have only update discs?

Since you already own the OSs, get the Apple peeps to use their disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Is the harddrive formatted at HFS+ What do your leopard discs look like?

Reaction score
You said you formatted the hard drive but that you put the Leopard/Tiger disks in AFTER that step. So I'm guessing you used a disk utility from the HD manufacturer? If so it is most likely formating the disk for windows use, not Mac. You need a full version of the OS (Tiger or Leopard) and to have IT format the disk for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.