Windows XP SP2 Retail vs. OEM version

Reaction score
$85 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

$200 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837116193

I want to play games on my Macbook Pro, but I'll need Windows XP. I don't want to deal with things like Crossover, I just want Windows XP. The thing is, there's the OEM version of about $85 and then there's the Retail version of $200 bucks. Which one should I use if I want to play video games, but let's say...
I have problems installing it in the middle of installation, I hear that once you've activated with the OEM version you cannot reinstall it on another computer, it can only be on one motherboard.
What if something goes wrong and i want to reboot the entire Windows XP OS on Boot Camp, can the OEM CD still be used?

What if I decide to upgrade to a 4GB memory card and want to be able to run Windows through Parallels or Fusion, where I can easily go from OS X to Windows, but had originally installed it on Boot Camp? Can i have it installed on Boot Camp and also on parallels, or do I have to uninstall it from Boot Camp and reinstall it on Parallels without having to deal with Microsoft to give me a new CD key. Can all of this be done through OEM, or is this the part where i have to get the $200 Retail.

Also, Should I even BOTHER buying it, or should i just dl'ed a student Windows XP where it's meant to be copied and installed a million times??

Opinions and professional feedback would be greatly appreciated ASAP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lot of questions.....

Download the student version provided it's a full install copy including SP2 and burn it to a CD. (the CD has to be bootable) That will save you money and maybe some headaches.

OEM copy of WinXP SP2 for $85.00 is the same as the MS retail copy with the restrictions you mentioned. Can only be installed on one machine and can not be moved even if the machine dies. :Angry-Tongue: (that's what the MS EULA specifies)

Parallels, Fusion, versus Boot Camp: You can use the same copy of XP but it will have to be activated separately for Boot Camp and once again for the virtual machine version.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.