macbook keyboard compatability

Reaction score
I have a white macbook 1.83mhz running 10.4.11 which I bought mid 2006. I've had the same problems as many in that the top case has over time both split and discoloured. As a brand new replacement is a bit pricey, I've found one second hand for a fraction of the cost. The problem I have though is that before I bought it, I didn't check the keyboard layout. Everything is the same except for the F keys. The new keyboard (2008 model I think) includes the additional media keys (rwnd, play and ffwd on F7, 8 and 9) and newly-labeled keys for Exposé and Dashboard on F3 and 4, along with the volume keys being on F10, 11 and 12 instead of 3, 4 and 5 on my old one. My question is, if I connect this 2008 keboard/topcase to my 2006 macbook, will it confuse it? Will volume still be controlled from the original F keys or the new ones? Have I bought a turkey?
Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a white macbook 1.83mhz running 10.4.11 which I bought mid 2006. I've had the same problems as many in that the top case has over time both split and discoloured. As a brand new replacement is a bit pricey, I've found one second hand for a fraction of the cost. The problem I have though is that before I bought it, I didn't check the keyboard layout. Everything is the same except for the F keys. The new keyboard (2008 model I think) includes the additional media keys (rwnd, play and ffwd on F7, 8 and 9) and newly-labeled keys for Exposé and Dashboard on F3 and 4, along with the volume keys being on F10, 11 and 12 instead of 3, 4 and 5 on my old one. My question is, if I connect this 2008 keboard/topcase to my 2006 macbook, will it confuse it? Will volume still be controlled from the original F keys or the new ones? Have I bought a turkey?
Thanks

I believe the key assignments will stay the same as I don't think those assignments are hardware driven. Of course, you should be able to change the functionality to suit the new keys within System Preferences => Keyboard & Mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.