• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Obama-Biden vs. McCain-Palin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
So, it is finally set. It is certainly going to be an interesting couple months.

My initial thoughts are that McCain picked his for shock value, while Obama picked his for experience. Both certainly have their glaring flaws. I am unsure how I feel about both of them.

Also, it is exciting that there will be either a minority or a woman in the oval office regardless of who wins. But I wonder what conservatives will think of this?

I am curious to hear the usual MF politics crew's thoughts on the race so far?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Conservatives will balk, but she'll do. She's a good conservative in a pretty package and a reformer to boot. I think she is an interesting choice and a rather daring one that could both help and hurt McCain just a Biden can help and hurt Obama. I suspect this will be another close election.

On a side note, I would ask that we try to keep this thread clean. Lets not have any political bashing and finger pointing. This is a hot topic and people will become passionate, but lets try and keep it open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i think Palin's nomination has several purposes:

it appeals to women voters

she is 30 years younger than McCain and that would appeal to the younger vote.

and the mother (no pun intended) of them all, to appeal to the disappointed Hillary fans that would rather vote republican than for Barrack.

IMHO

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

and the mother (no pun intended) of them all, to appeal to the disappointed Hillary fans that would rather vote republican than for Barrack.

IMHO
Yeah, I agree on all those points as well. It's pretty much the sentiment of what I've read with the media's spin and blogs on McCain's VP pick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
After the DNC, any Hillary supporters who are still not going to vote for Obama are never going to vote for Obama. I don't think picking a female VP is going to make them go for McCain. The number of bitter Hillary supporters is probably so small it doesn't matter anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
AS an impartial Brit with no US vote here's my bit

It seems a very smart move by McCain, and announcing it during the Democratic conference definitely was calculated to steal some news time from Obama

Now the Democrat have got to pull something out of the bag during the Republican conference, and I don't see what they might be able to do.

Political loyalties aside, from this side of the pond it looks like McCains main strategy is to throw mud at Obama, not that that never happens over here, but over doing it puts UK voters off, not sure how negative campaigning goes down in the states

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Puts some off here too, but I do recall seeing enough of it in the UK anyway ;) Either way, I really don't like either of the major parties candidates or their platforms enough to be 'overjoyed' at the prospect of voting this general election. It's really a good thing there are local issues I'm concerned about or I'd be tempted to give it a miss.

I think both parties tried to pick the least offensive candidates, the ones that stand the best chance of gaining moderate voters votes. That's really the best I can do.

btw, being the governor of what may well be the most politically corrupt state in the nation.. may be a huge liability

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
btw, being the governor of what may well be the most politically corrupt state in the nation.. may be a huge liability

Maybe but not likely. The fact that she took on the corrupt political machine of her own party is probably a huge plus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe but not likely. The fact that she took on the corrupt political machine of her own party is probably a huge plus.
Sure, but in a climate where people actually believe that Obama isn't a US citizen.. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, but in a climate where people actually believe that Obama isn't a US citizen.. :D

I'm not sure what you are driving at there. I've not heard that he is not a US citizen. I don't see the connection between her gubernatorial record and his citizenship.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You haven't? Man I must just catch more wacky conspiracy theory stuff than most then. Evidently there was a big ta do over his 'allegedly falsified' Hawaii birth certificate. Sheer propaganda, much like the exposure the state of Alaska has regarding it's corruption.

Edit: my comment on this has more to do with the current method of campaigning than the candidates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got ya.

As for Alaska, isn't one of the Congressional members under indictment currently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I believe so. It's been such a problem I gather that simply running on a campaign to fight corruption is a big enough deal to get national media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

McCain picked the governor of NJ as his running mate? ;P

As for Alaska, isn't one of the Congressional members under indictment currently?

Yea, Senator Ted Stevens (R)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(finally) Jersey aint got nothing on Alaska, remember the bridge to nowhere? :D

It'll be an interesting year politically.. At least if you find humor in it.. ahhhh the daily show and colbert report will be goooood :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Psh, Alaska has graft. Jersey's got true corruption. We've had like ten governors in just a couple of years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got one in prison right now? We do :D or at least did

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come on, you know Jersey is more infamous for corruption than Alaska could ever be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

IMHO

A running mate picked for all the wrong reasons. It seems she was chosen only to get votes, not as someone who is best for the job. It's actually a comical choice after all of McCain's complaining about Obama not having enough experience. Now he wants to put this inexperienced person in the VP seat and a heartbeat away from the presidency.

But that's the way of things. Just like how news channels runs stories about Paris Hilton instead of real news. It's all about getting people's attention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
A running mate picked for all the wrong reasons. It seems she was chosen only to get votes, not as someone who is best for the job. It's actually a comical choice after all of McCain's complaining about Obama not having enough experience. Now he wants to put this inexperienced person in the VP seat and a heartbeat away from the presidency.

But that's the way of things. Just like how news channels runs stories about Paris Hilton instead of real news. It's all about getting people's attention.

That was exactly what I was going to say. Well put!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.