• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Obama-Biden vs. McCain-Palin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
personally, and i'm not trying to start a flame war, if mccain is elected, we should have our independence revoked.

I think you lot are alright on that point, we have enough on our plate at the mo and have given up running colonies ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
it's as much opinion as most of the other comments in this thread - even those stating that Obama isn't experienced enough, which we hear over and over again from those that have that opinion.

making something out of it won't lessen any possible impact my words my have had either.

Opinion? Yes. I have zero issue with your opinion. How you worded it could have been better. You and I both know that this is the sort of language and attitude that can cause a thread to go south. I would expect it from a n00b...

As I said on page 1:

On a side note, I would ask that we try to keep this thread clean. Lets not have any political bashing and finger pointing. This is a hot topic and people will become passionate, but lets try and keep it open.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i apologize for becoming passionate.

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I find it sad that it's a long time member, a well respected one (not to mention the MOTM) who decided to lower the bar in this thread.

I saw nothing in eric's post that constitutes even remotely what you're talking about. He voiced legitimate concerns with the Republican choice for VP, and he commented on how he views the Democratic ticket.

You know, it's actually your post that's bringing the level of discourse down as you're criticizing the poster and not the substance, especially when there is nothing inflammatory about the substance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, I guess silly name calling and low brow commentary is acceptable then. Sorry for trying to actually keep the discussion on a friendly and intelligent track and hoping we could avoid resorting to this sort of thing. What was I thinking?

I'll just stop now. Enjoy.

EDIT:

i apologize for becoming passionate.

:p

I apologize for the same thing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't consider the US to be in an extremely "conservative environment" at this point (remember, I said "by European standards). The Pendulum has swung the other way. You Europeans may view us a conservative by your standards but we are not by our own

Maybe conservative is the wrong word then, but without jumping to alarmist vocabulary, I'm not quite sure how to express it...

Let's put it this way: It's pretty unfathomable in the 21st century that other western countries would be having debates on whether the treatment of detainees is "technically" torture or not. And that's just one example...

American politics have been polarized to a point that some pretty extreme policies and political practises that would have been shocking just 8 years ago are now considered acceptable and the norm.

I'm convinced that 8 years of Bush has set not just the US, but the whole planet back a decade in terms of the advancement of world peace and prosperity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
IT does seem odd that, after the fall of communism the hoped for peace dividend has evaporated.

Now we have Islamic extremism and more surprisingly the return of the Russian bear, its as if the old European balance of power politics from the 19th century are returning.

But at least we have one thing, unlike the 19th century, Britain France and Germany (or Prussia) are not going to war, thank goodness for European co-operation.

But back to the thread:

Whoever gets in, I just hope that they are less go alone than Bush and Cheney. The world needs international collaboration and the USA needs to become the moral world leader it was after the war.

America is the worlds largest democracy, and needs to lead the world again by showing how democracy and a free society can answer the world's problems better than any other system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't believe there ever was a 'peace dividend'. The re-emergence of the Russians on the world stage in a military capacity is not at all surprising, it's been a while coming now. In fact, I believe we'll end up seeing a new cold war in this decade. The irony is that it may well stabilize things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
i used to like mccain, not sure what's going on with him lately, he's acting like a dink, maybe it's his campaign people, or him losing his faculties, but he definitely seems different now than he was even just a few years ago. of course that's a gut feeling, i can't back it up objectively.

I liked John McCain back in 2000. The problem was, the John McCain of 2000 could never win the Republican nomination. He had to tack to the right and flip on numerous issues like the Bush tax cuts, immigration, and offshore oil drilling. He stopped being a maverick and became just a normal Republican. To win his party's nomination, John McCain abandoned some of his old principles. I don't know if he would just revert back to the maverick if he gets into office, but picking a fundamentalist like Sarah Palin would seem to indicate that he wouldn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
I find McCain's choice to be very transparent and I think it will hurt him more than help him, but I've certainly been wrong before. I didn't think they'd make Bush president.

Reaction score
If they nominate someone and the press loves that person then I start to worry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Obama and Biden obviously are going to crush McCain/Palin. He bashed Obama for having no experience, then picked a VP with even less experience than him. What a hypocrite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're Republicans, you find that surprising? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I love those shows. They've been all over the candidates. It's hilarious!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I can get used to seeing Palin...She looks real good for her age. Her pro choice thing...ehhh not so much...But all beliefs aside, I think it's great we'll either have a black president or a female vice president.

Reaction score
I am no expert and I have had my share of being wrong on these things, but it appears to me it has the potential of being a blowout of Mondale proportions - with Obama taking Mondale's place. (No flames please - just expressing my opinion).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the sake of this country's future, let's hope not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I am no expert and I have had my share of being wrong on these things, but it appears to me it has the potential of being a blowout of Mondale proportions - with Obama taking Mondale's place. (No flames please - just expressing my opinion).

I think you'll find that to be pretty far from the truth in the end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.