• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I just sold my Apple Shares

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I have done really well with AAPL, I bought last year @ $97 and then sold @$192, bought again @ $121 and sold a few minutes ago @ $170.12.

I think Apple need to offer a dividend, because there is serious resistance in the market once the price gets to $175, so at the moment there is just this swing between $150 and $180, and I cannot see this as a buy and hold stock.

I put the returns into an REIT offering a 5% dividend. Anyone else playing with Apple stock? If it goes below $145 again, I'll definately buy again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
You made some good money on the stock, so I think your decision was very smart. I would have absolutely did the same if I was in your place.

Unfortunately, I do not have the leisure of playing with it as much as you can. I just don't have enough invested to justify the transaction costs.

Regarding dividends and the stock price. AAPL always swings on rumors and speculation, so it doesn't seem to be growing as much as it probably should. The recession isn't helping either. But the fundamentals of the company are solid, which means it is growing. Maybe investors will gain more confidence in the stock when they see that AAPL's growth is long-term and not just a fad.

Dividends seem to have been falling out of favor recently and probably for good reason. The money is probably better spent being reinvested into the company, especially a tech giant like AAPL.

We'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've still got mine after 12 years. I've thought of selling it but just never have. I would make a killing based on my initial investment though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have a suspicion that AAPL will rise more until the response after the new upgrades or whatever come out.

Reaction score
Who or where is the service/broker that you guys use to buy and sell your shares?

I have always thought about getting into buying and selling shares but I havent found a good trustworthy online service to do it, any recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i havent bought or sold, i am just interested and will probably be investing in the next year or so. i have been watching several stocks including AAPL for a while.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who or where is the service/broker that you guys use to buy and sell your shares?

I have always thought about getting into buying and selling shares but I havent found a good trustworthy online service to do it, any recommendations?

Depends on your needs. If you just want to invest a few hundred bucks a month and build up steadily, use something like Sharebuilder, you get $4 trades if you trade regularly on a Tuesday.

Otherwise, it's a tough pick. I'd say Fidelity or Trade King. I don't like eTrade personally, but you should look at the costs.

http://www.fivecentnickel.com/2008/05/28/smartmoneys-best-and-worst-brokers/

http://www.fivecentnickel.com/2008/07/11/smartmoneys-top-online-broker-for-2008/

With most banks returning barely 1 or 2%, and even CDs scraping 3% or so, I think it's a good time to invest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here is a snapshot from my widget. i have been following these for at least 6 months. not all of them are doing well though.

PS - I have also been looking at using Fidelity for a broker. we are moving soon and we will have more options when we get where we are going.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would research and track alternative energy companies and major established companies already in this field

The future is definitely moving towards getting us off dependence on the Middle East.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I told my wife last night that we need to go ahead and purchase a couple shares. I read an article that nearly a full 50% of high school seniors who are moving on to college plan to buy a MacBook. That's WILD! And the rumors of a MacBook Touch coming soon are starting to look real. I've never dabbled in the stock market, but have been telling myself for a few years now (ever since my first Mac, a Powerbook!) that I should invest some. I recently read an article that Apple's stock had gone about something like 1,050% in the time I've been "thinking" about buying. Makes me wanna cry.

Reaction score
whats the minimum amount of shares you can purchase from apple? im guessing its going to be quite a few and not cheap!

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whats the minimum amount of shares you can purchase from apple? im guessing its going to be quite a few and not cheap!

You can buy one share, or even invest one dollar for a partial, with some brokers. I've got some very odd share partials.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Is there some kinda Stock Market Simulator online somewhere?

I like the idea of 'playing' the stock market, but so not have the funds to do so!
Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Investors Business Daily seems to think that AAPL is actually poised for another major rise, up into the $190's. I am presently holding AAPL stock and will hang on until it gets up to that range.

Neither I nor IBD have any magic insights into the behavior of the stock market, so this is NOT stock buying/purchasing advice, just an indication of what *I* am doing.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would research and track alternative energy companies and major established companies already in this field

The future is definitely moving towards getting us off dependence on the Middle East.

I have my eye on one that has applied to do an IPO. I'm actually looking to move out of finance, into that field of work myself, in the next few years.

Without making this a political thread, I really hope the next President will support renewables fully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
You made some good invesetments. Personally, I would never invest because I could lose all my money which I don't have that much of. But I support others investing if they like to and know what they're doing. Evidently you benefitted from that. My Uncle is the CEO of Google.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done really well with AAPL, I bought last year @ $97 and then sold @$192, bought again @ $121 and sold a few minutes ago @ $170.12.

I think Apple need to offer a dividend, because there is serious resistance in the market once the price gets to $175, so at the moment there is just this swing between $150 and $180, and I cannot see this as a buy and hold stock.

I put the returns into an REIT offering a 5% dividend. Anyone else playing with Apple stock? If it goes below $145 again, I'll definately buy again.

$110 and falling... I'm pretty glad I dumped these!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
$110 and falling... I'm pretty glad I dumped these!

Stop rubbing it in ;D I was thinking about getting out last week, but now I'm mad that I didn't.. Oh well, Just have to ride it out... again.. $220 anyone?? :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm excited for when it bottoms out, I might consider getting in if it gets low enough. I'm also glad I didn't invest back in March :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.