• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I just sold my Apple Shares

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm excited for when it bottoms out, I might consider getting in if it gets low enough. I'm also glad I didn't invest back in March :D

Ditto on that. I was telling my wife 3 weeks ago how we REALLY need to hurry up and invest in some Apple stock soon. Man I woulda been if we had!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Is there some kinda Stock Market Simulator online somewhere?

I like the idea of 'playing' the stock market, but so not have the funds to do so!
Cheers.

Yes. www.updown.com I play it for fun since I don't have a million dollars laying around to play the same strategies, but learning how the game is played for when I am older. Even through this crisis with my online fantasy portfolio I am still doing quite well. I am consistently beating the S&P 500 by very large margins (doing so earns you real cash). I was doing well in the student competition until last week. A bunch of people obviously were all invested in the same industry when it shot up because all the leaders changed.

Ditto on that. I was telling my wife 3 weeks ago how we REALLY need to hurry up and invest in some Apple stock soon. Man I woulda been if we had!

And if you don't get in it now when its up over 200 again you're going to be really mad you didn't double your money. Now is a great time to buy AAPL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83GHz; iPhone 3G
Yes. www.updown.com I play it for fun since I don't have a million dollars laying around to play the same strategies, but learning how the game is played for when I am older. Even through this crisis with my online fantasy portfolio I am still doing quite well. I am consistently beating the S&P 500 by very large margins (doing so earns you real cash). I was doing well in the student competition until last week. A bunch of people obviously were all invested in the same industry when it shot up because all the leaders changed.

And if you don't get in it now when its up over 200 again you're going to be really mad you didn't double your money. Now is a great time to buy AAPL

I'd like to start playing around with stocks but I don't know how it all works. What amount would you say I should start with? Would I be making much if I invest a few hundred (2-4)? I'm still a student with not so much money on hands, but I think learning something like this will help me in the future. Any tips?

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'd like to start playing around with stocks but I don't know how it all works. What amount would you say I should start with? Would I be making much if I invest a few hundred (2-4)? I'm still a student with not so much money on hands, but I think learning something like this will help me in the future. Any tips?

Now is probably not the best time to experiment, as the market is extremely volatile right now. Huge companies with P/E values of 10 or less are getting hammered for no rational reason.

Incidentally, there is no need to use an application to simulate the market. Go to google finance (most quotes are real time, and all are free) and just input transactions as though you bought them at the market price. It till tell you unrealized and realized P&L, plus give you news feeds about the companies you invested in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.