VPN/Mac is suddenly killing my internet connection but Skype still works -- Help

Reaction score
Hi all,

new to the forum and hoping someone can help.

I have a MacBook pro latest model running latest version of OSX.

I live in Dubai and up until last week my Witopia VPN was working fine. Then for no reason it became unstable, so the Witopia guys recommended I upgrade to the latest version, which I did. Now it's perfectly stable but will not let me open a single webpage or send/recieve email.
It will however still allow Skype to work!!!!
So up until an hour ago, I've been moaning at Witopia to help fix it, but they can't see what's wrong. I downloaded hotspot shield to test that out and the same thing happened, no internet but Skype works fine. Why is this??

As soon as I disconnect the VPN/hot spot shield the internet works immediately, but Skype doesn't as it's banned in the UAE!!!

So what has happened to Mac's configuration in the last week that has stopped it from allowing the VPN to access the web, but still access Skype?

Can anyone please help, without a VPN I can't go on any (ahem) dodgy websites here in Dubai;-)

It can only be a mac software issue, as I also tried another ISP and setup at a friends house!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.