• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting DV videos to flash video format

Reaction score
I need to convert DV videos to flash video format on my imac g5. The process on the pc is to firstly install a Panansonic video codec, in order to edit the video. Is this this required when working on the mac?
The DV firstly has to be converted to XVID or VIDX to then convert to flash video format.
Is this process the same on the mac and are there any codecs that need to be installed before the process? Also are there any open source software that would convert XVID/VIDX to flash video format or even from DV to VIDX/flash video format.
At the moment i have final ct studio 6. Im not sure if that could do the job?

Thanks

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Look at one of the many video conversion apps out there eg

visual hub
isquint
quicktime
ffmpegx
mpeg stream clip
etc

one (or more) of them will be fit to convert it for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I need to convert DV videos to flash video format on my imac g5. The process on the pc is to firstly install a Panansonic video codec, in order to edit the video. Is this this required when working on the mac?
Nobody can tell you that without knowing the camera specifications.

The DV firstly has to be converted to XVID or VIDX to then convert to flash video format.
Why the extra conversion? Are you going to embed this XVID/VIDX format into a flash file? Will Mac users be able to view that non-standard format?

It looks like Visual Hub might be a decent answer for converting to Flash.

Reaction score
Quicktime doesn't do flash. Flash non-std?

Just a clarification, quicktime doesn't do conversions to flash.

And with regards to the question "Will Mac users be able to view that non-standard format?", when I send quicktime/mpeg-4 videos to my relatives, about 25% of them can't view the video. Most people can view flash videos (eventhough they're lower quality)

Ben

Look at one of the many video conversion apps out there eg

visual hub
isquint
quicktime
ffmpegx
mpeg stream clip
etc

one (or more) of them will be fit to convert it for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Ben,

I was referring to the XVID/VIDX formats as non standard. I did some extra reading and found that Xvid is suppose to be MPEG-4, but if so, why not just use Apple's MPEG-4 encoding. It sounds to me like the OP doesn't know his tools, and I learned something new too.

Your note regarding distribution would also be true about Flash with embedded MPEG-4 I think. I thought that was a feature they only recently added to the Flash capability. That means many many people would have to upgrade to be able to see such files. So for now it would be better to use the older video codecs available in Flash. I mention this more for the OPs sake.

By the way you could export to a .mp4 file instead of .mov file. That might lower that 25%. Although if you are near the 0% mark, Flash is clearly better for you needs for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro (early '08), 2.6 dual core duo, 2 gb ram, 200 gb 7200 rpm hd, running Leopard
Just a clarification, quicktime doesn't do conversions to flash.

And with regards to the question "Will Mac users be able to view that non-standard format?", when I send quicktime/mpeg-4 videos to my relatives, about 25% of them can't view the video. Most people can view flash videos (eventhough they're lower quality)

Ben

If you just want something that keeps the file sizes low, has decent quality and is watchable on almost anything out there, download Flip4Mac and export your video as a .wmv

Even though many Mac users may not like them, the fact of the matter is the majority of people out there have PCs and ALL of those are going to have Window Media Player on them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.