help... broken key....

M

mac_noobie

Hi, umm I have a slight problem.... I let my younger brother use my powerbook for 15 minutes and he knocked a picture off the top of my desk somehow while using it and cracked the "D" key on the keyboard... obviously the picture hit it square on its sharp frame corner... I am really annoyed by this becase whenever I type there is a crack under the "d" key when ever I press it down... Does Apple offer any way to fix this? maybe sending you a replacement key or something, because I remember on my old computer I used to be able to pick the key's off.

Thanks

OP
M

mac_noobie

Thank you, but could you tell me how to safely lift the key off? I could also just call apple and ask them, but maybe someone else could let me know.

Thank you very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
at the top of the kb, between f8 and f9 and between f4 and f5, I think, there are 2 smal tabs, pull them towards you and lift at the same time. then it comes out. when reinserting it, make sure its properly seated before trying to snap it into place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I hate to be the doomsdayer in this, but if it was simply the key or the key fastener, wouldn't the key come off easily? Is it possible thet something under the key was damaged. I had an ibook where the fastener was broken, they both use the same system to keep the keys on the computer, and the key itself wouldn't stay on, there was no issue of how to take it off safely. I hope the key or fastener is the problem for you, but you may wanna check before you go buy just a new key. Also apple will fix it for free at their store, just bring it in like it is and they will fix it no questions asked, I took mine in to the store, they never asked for warranty infor or anything, they just replaced the key and fastener, they even took off the old feet on my book and put new ones on without me asking.

OP
M

mac_noobie

jaster said:
I hate to be the doomsdayer in this, but if it was simply the key or the key fastener, wouldn't the key come off easily? Is it possible thet something under the key was damaged. I had an ibook where the fastener was broken, they both use the same system to keep the keys on the computer, and the key itself wouldn't stay on, there was no issue of how to take it off safely. I hope the key or fastener is the problem for you, but you may wanna check before you go buy just a new key. Also apple will fix it for free at their store, just bring it in like it is and they will fix it no questions asked, I took mine in to the store, they never asked for warranty infor or anything, they just replaced the key and fastener, they even took off the old feet on my book and put new ones on without me asking.

Really! just bring it in... I'll give them a call before I do, because it's nine dollars to get a new key from powerbookmedic.com, and if they'll fix it for free than that would be great. They key does work fine though, its just very obnoxious to use with the crack in it.

Thanks a lot for you input guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Yeah just bring it in, although remember your warranty info and all. the thing with mac stores that I have noticed is that your level of customer service is greatly affected by who you talk to. While I am sure apple has customer service standards in theor stores, it really depends on who you talk to. My broked "w" key was fixed with a replacement fastener and my ibook was given new feet at no cost, no questions asked. But I have heard of others who cant even find someone to talk to. Others have found people to talk to but have gotten very little help or have had to bring in all their forms and info. Its best to go when the place is empty of customers. Apple is no different than any other store, it all depends on who you talk to.

OP
M

mac_noobie

jaster said:
Yeah just bring it in, although remember your warranty info and all. the thing with mac stores that I have noticed is that your level of customer service is greatly affected by who you talk to. While I am sure apple has customer service standards in theor stores, it really depends on who you talk to. My broked "w" key was fixed with a replacement fastener and my ibook was given new feet at no cost, no questions asked. But I have heard of others who cant even find someone to talk to. Others have found people to talk to but have gotten very little help or have had to bring in all their forms and info. Its best to go when the place is empty of customers. Apple is no different than any other store, it all depends on who you talk to.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.