Time Machine or Super Duper

Reaction score
Which is the preferred software for backing up your mac? Time Machine or Super Duper?

Thanks
=A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Andy for me SuperDuper is much faster using firewire and even more so if you pay the registration fee. Weekly back up of entire system takes about twenty minutes whilst walking the dog.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
SuperDuper is going to be faster and in my opinion much easier to restore from if you run into trouble. You might also consider Carbon Copy Cloner (which I use). It's similar to SuperDuper and does not require a registration fee. The author does ask for a donation, however. The difference between the two programs is you must register SuperDuper if you wish to use its faster backing up options. CCC is fully functional. Give them both a try and choose which one you like.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
Both.

I use both to different external hard drives. Main reason is that I am still unconvinced that Time Machine is doing a proper backup of my Entourage identity and my Aperture libraries. You can NEVER have enough back ups!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
I use both also, to different externals. Takes about 15 minutes each and I have redundancy for restoring - if one goes astray, I have the other...

If I had a choice, it would be SuperDuper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I like superduper, and Carbon copy cloner. My understanding is time machine does not make bootable backups which is what you really want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
well time machine doesn't create bootable backups but you can restore from a time machine backup so it's still pretty useful…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.
I use Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Does SuperDuper backup the entire HD...including programs???

Yes, it does... If you ever need to restore to a new hard drive, you'll have everything you have today. It's a neat program!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
superduper is a great app, but I think it's priced a bit high. $28.

I went with carbon copy cloner.... you can donate as little as $5 for that app... and I did donate. I will likely give a bit more on pay day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.