Unlock iPhone without voiding warranty?

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this has been touched upon before. I'm just about to get a second hand 2G iPhone where I'll want to use my Vodafone sim card until I change over to o2 in a couple of months time.

The iPhone has 5 months remaining warranty so I don't want to void that by unlocking it if I can help it.

Is there any way to unlock the iPhone without voiding the warranty i.e. can you unlock it and then lock it back to o2 without Apple knowing?

I've seen these things which claim to be able to do it: http://phonedevil.com/

Reaction score
you can restore the original firmware through itunes i think that will lock it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
yah you have to use some program to get rid of the unlock.

and then you can use the restore to get rid of the jailbreak

thats the way i understood it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
All you have to do is restore the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sweet i didnt know that got rid of the unlock as well.

i dont have to worry about that but good to know :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Whoa whoa, looks like there's some serious misinformation in this thread. Restoring the phone will NOT, I repeat, will NOT get rid of an unlock, it only gets rid of a jailbreak. To relock the iPhone, you need to go through a process called virginizing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoa whoa, looks like there's some serious misinformation in this thread. Restoring the phone will NOT, I repeat, will NOT get rid of an unlock, it only gets rid of a jailbreak. To relock the iPhone, you need to go through a process called virginizing.

thats what i thought. i thought i remembered you saying that somewhere else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You don't need to virginize no one virginizes anymore... the only way to tell if it has been unlocked would be to go into the bootloader. Apple is not going to examine the bootloader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
There is no way Apple is going to find out, or even bother to check if your phone is unlocked, as long as it states AT&T and, obviously doesn't have Jailbroken Apps(Cydia Installer). So a simple restore should/will be fine in the case of warranty replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no way Apple is going to find out, or even bother to check if your phone is unlocked, as long as it states AT&T and, obviously doesn't have Jailbroken Apps(Cydia Installer). So a simple restore should/will be fine in the case of warranty replacement.

Very well put. Just make sure when you take the phone to Apple it has an at&t sim card in the phone. A gophone sim card will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.