• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PCs could become more expensive than Macs, very soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
So one of the big myths out there is that Macs are far more expensive than PCs, even equivalent PCs, and although you can argue the toss on this one somewhat, there is little doubt that if you really want a half decent machine, to borwse the web and write email, you can get a PC cheaper than a Mac.

This could all end

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/technology/28software.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin

It's a little known fact that one of the reasons some PCs are so dirt cheap, is that software companies pay millions of dollars to have crapware installed all over them, in the hope the user will get suckered into buying it, or signing up to some subscription service or another.

BestBuy (who I must admit I am starting to like) will get rid of all of this for $30!

Thoughts?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Interesting read, a little on the long and boring side though. I caught some typos too, since I'm so bored anyways. >_<"

That's why I prefer to make my own computers, don't have to deal with software that I don't want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I just ordered a Dell Notebook for my mom (tried switching her over, but she didn't want to deal with a totally new OS) It was a Studio 15, and after everything she wanted, including tax, it costed about $1500. Software was a majority of that cost. For that price I could have gotten a refurbished MBP, or a blackbook.

my 2c

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
$1500 FOR A DELL ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
WOW...
Yeah anyways...I bet PCs will go up in cost, it makes sense. I mean sure there will be the wal-mart specials, but overall they'll definitely go up over time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
When the day comes I'll rub it in my friends faces. I love how Macs are all made by the same company in an Apple Factory, but I hated how Macs were expensive. I would never get a PC no matter what the cost was. I will always go with Mac despite the fact all my friends think it sucks which it doesn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.