Should I get a Mac Mini now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I currently have a Macbook, but everyone else in my family use a PC (about 4-5 years old now) its getting really slow and the specs are pretty dated now. So I'm planning on buying a computer, I want to buy the mac mini because its the cheapest option, there just going to be using it for surfing the net, email, Office 2003 and some accounting software (sage I think)

But do you lot think I should wait till after September to buy it because of all the rumours about laptop updates. I don't need it urgently so i can wait 1-2 months. And what are the chances that the mac mini will be updated? I've also heard that Apple may discontinue the mac mini…

Reaction score
If you can wait, then do precisely that. It's kind of murky right now as to what is going to be announced by Apple supposedly on the 9th of September so I would wait and see. I'm really hoping for a refresh on the Mini and if they dropped the price a bit I wouldn't be too upset. I'm looking to get one to use as an HTPC for my bedroom. I've got about a hundred of my DVDs ripped to disk already so I'll be pretty happy to be able to pipe those over to that room and also be able to surf the web from my bed if I'm so inclined. What I like the most about the Mini is that it is dead quiet and it has such a small footprint.

shawn

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah it also needs an substantial upgrade, processor more than 2ghz, 2gig ram standard and 160 HD standard. It's pretty dated now with the spec…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'd wait. If it's updated, great. If it's axed, they'll still be supplies for a few weeks.

Personally, I think it will be updated. If it wasn't profitable, it would have been ditched years ago.

Perhaps we'll see a cosmetic change. Maybe they'll change the white polycarbonate to black?

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see Apple changing the White plastic to black, I see a aluminium finish similar to the Macbook Air and iMac. Also because the macbook is rumoured to get a aluminium finish it would make a lot of sense…

Reaction score
I would like to see a black version of the Mini. Maybe some aluminum accents and, perhaps for the Apple logo on top of the case. After laying hands on an iPhone 3G yesterday I really like the look of the black. White would still be fine for me but black would fit in with the rest of my component rack better. I have a feeling that if the Mini is updated it's going to share a common look with the AirPort base station and Time Machine pieces. Then again, Mr. Ive might have come up with something altogether amazing once again that will have people buzzing again. Even in it's current form the Mini is a neat and tidy package and I like it a lot. But at least give us some upgraded internals. If the price is right I might buy two and give one to my mom.

shawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Maybe knock an inch off the height?

Reaction score
yeah it also needs an substantial upgrade, processor more than 2ghz, 2gig ram standard and 160 HD standard. It's pretty dated now with the spec…

I have a 1.66ghz with 2gb ram and a 80 hd. I use ministacks for pictures and itunes. I would like more ram and faster processor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.