• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hardware wishlist for Apple to add to their computers

Reaction score
For a while I wasn't sure what else Apple could make but now I do. A bluetooth and wired backlit keyboard would be great. I know they can do this. The bluetooth backlit one may be harder just because that eats up batteries. I also want them to add backlit keyboards, LED screens, H.264 video chips, Bluray disc option and up to 500 GB HDD drive option and embedded GPS location to their Macbooks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just a lone, solitary request, if I may.... an HDD activity light.

That's it. That's all I want. I can deal with all of the other eccentricities. I know one can use software to show you HDD activity, but that software doesn't run in Windows, nor does it work if you've got the spinning beachball and want to see if there's activity before hard resetting.

I know a lot of people don't like flashing lights - fine, no problem. Allow the user to turn it off if they don't like it, or disable it from the factory and supply us with a command to enable it. But please, this is just one thing that I miss from PCs. I don't think it's too much to ask, Apple - pretty please? It won't cost you much, I promise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
yeah...back light the wired one...even though I already have one...:(. I can't really think of anything else except make the mighty mouse side buttons independent (I like my 5 or more button mouses :D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Two button mouse/trackpad. The one thing I always hated about one button system. I end up using a Logitech VX Revolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
uh dude...the mighty mouse is a 4 button...(right and left click are actually different even though it's a seam less case)then you have the scroll wheel click, and squeezing the side buttons is another one (not 2 :( )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
uh dude...the mighty mouse is a 4 button...(right and left click are actually different even though it's a seam less case)then you have the scroll wheel click, and squeezing the side buttons is another one (not 2 :( )

I understand the mighty mouse has the touch-sensitive two button set up. I meant Apple should change to the traditional two button. I don't like the might mouse.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a lone, solitary request, if I may.... an HDD activity light.

Agreed! Been a want of mine now for years and years. Back in the System 6 and later Mac OS 7-9 days, I had a little application that flashed a light in the toolbar to show hard drive activity.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed! Been a want of mine now for years and years. Back in the System 6 and later Mac OS 7-9 days, I had a little application that flashed a light in the toolbar to show hard drive activity.

I don't know about SATA drives, but I'm pretty sure there's a pin on the old PATA drives that was dedicated to hard drive activity. If this MBP had a PATA drive, I'd be tempted to get out my soldering iron ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My wish is more something that was removed from their computers and I want it back.

On the white imacs. G5 to C2D. There is a little light on the bottom right on the computer under the screen that comes on when the computer is in sleep. flashing for a screen sleep and a solid light for a screen + hard drive sleep. it just appears there through the plastic. And it's something I really like. As sometimes I let my computer sleep for a while then i forget whether it's asleep or off. But that light is there telling me if so and what sleep it's in. Light or deep sleep.

But it seems the new alu imacs don't have this feature. Well not on the ones I've seen. And I want it back. It's one of the reasons I like my white imac much better than the alu ones.

About the HD indicator light. Would this app do that function?

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

jah

Reaction score
more support for 5.1 audio, maybe via wifi
built in esata3 port
built in all-in-one memory card slot(s)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I"m with cwa107 here, hard drive activity LED on the front panel would be a welcomed addition.....pure and simple. Easy to design in, heck they could put a little switch on the back side of the machine to flip it on and off if you wish ! it's low voltage.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I"m with cwa107 here, hard drive activity LED on the front panel would be a welcomed addition.....pure and simple. Easy to design in, heck they could put a little switch on the back side of the machine to flip it on and off if you wish ! it's low voltage.

I'd like to see them hide it within the keyboard bezel. On the MacBook Pro, it could be recessed beneath the "grille" areas to the left and right of the keyboard. In keeping with Apple's less-is-more design philosophy, I'd say just make it a software switch (actually an EFI setting, so that it's low-level) to enable or disable it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
A docking station port.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
For a while I wasn't sure what else Apple could make but now I do. A bluetooth and wired backlit keyboard would be great. I know they can do this. The bluetooth backlit one may be harder just because that eats up batteries. I also want them to add backlit keyboards, LED screens, H.264 video chips, Bluray disc option and up to 500 GB HDD drive option and embedded GPS location to their Macbooks.

500GB HDD that are out now drain battery way worst than some 7200 RMP HDDs.

I like the bluetooth idea, also the GPS one as well.

Reaction score
WISHLIST (Suggestions to Apple)

What sort of products would you like to see in a near future?

Here goes my first wish: e-book. I think it's time for Apple to create something bigger than iphone and smaller than macbook. Something like a pocket book (5 x 8" aprox.) with dual touch screen (to be used like an e-book, like a full sized screen or like a notebook with a virtual keyboard). With newest intel atoms and high quality screens, I think it would be possible in terms of energy, comfort and weight. I work in education and it would be pretty useful to have a tool like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Keyboard with a headphone jack, a full wireless keyboard, unlimited iTunes, that's it for now. This should be a sticky thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.