• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Poll: How important....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
....is the perception of your company to you? Let me try to explain. Say you work for company X and you make product Y. What if Company X is not highly regarded in the public eye because of product(s) Y?

Example:

You work for Microsoft. Now it's obvious there are a ton of people out there who hate everything you do. Is that important to you? Or are you more worried about job security and getting a paycheck?

If you don't work for a company, pretend you work for Microsoft, hypothetically of course :D How would you feel about being looked down upon cause you work for that company, do you work harder or just do what you are asked? Do you care about stock prices of your company? Embarrassed to tell people where you work? Just trying to get an idea of how others may feel about the situation.

Let's try to be as objective as we can. I just used Microsoft as an example ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I don't care about the publics perception, but my perception. I was actually offered a very high paying job by a very large defense contractor, I didn't take it.

I actually just had this discussion with someone at work recently. All they care about is the money, and that's cool for them. It's just not my deal. I don't judge a person because they want to make a lot of money, there could be all kinds of circumstances that lead to that, but that's not my main objective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm really not sure that MS employees are particularly looked down upon, they don't make policy ;) probably much the same as many other people who work for large companies...

I'm not ashamed of where I work, I do care about stock prices (it tends to effect my salary)

regarding the poll, I really could care less for the most part, but I get to work with some really cool technology and nothing but new stuff. hard to beat that for 'fun' ;)

OP
tkim
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm really not sure that MS employees are particularly looked down upon, they don't make policy ;) probably much the same as many other people who work for large companies...

I'm not ashamed of where I work, I do care about stock prices (it tends to effect my salary)

regarding the poll, I really could care less for the most part, but I get to work with some really cool technology and nothing but new stuff. hard to beat that for 'fun' ;)

Maybe I shouldn't have said "looked down upon." Maybe more like the punch line of your friends joke or they crack jokes about how much your companies product stinks, things of that nature.

OP
tkim
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll just give you my example.

I work at a fairly large company, was once a fortune 500 company. Within the last few years the company has been on a downslide.

Public perception of the products we put out aren't great, I know cause I've read many reviews online and talked to disgruntled customers. When I first started, I didn't really care about that sort of thing. But after working here for 2 years I started paying attention to what is going on with the company as a whole.

At first I was all about the money but now I realize where the company stands. Being on the inside, i know how things are but I can't do much to change things. The whole chain of command thing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, i work for a pretty massive evil corporate entity and have friends who work throughout the rest of this industry as well, we tease each other about our respective employers all the time.. can't say I take it rather seriously though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
well, i work for a pretty massive evil corporate entity and have friends who work throughout the rest of this industry as well, we tease each other about our respective employers all the time.. can't say I take it rather seriously though.

What's totally amusing to me about that is that you are an old-school punk rocker. Ya know, fight the system and all. Makes me think of SLC Punk. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HAHAH in the end we're all just poseurs ;)

In reality, I work where I do simply because I (currently) enjoy the challenge, if I didn't.. I'd be gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.