0SX 10.3.4 & latest Quark

Reaction score
I have a friend who is not very techy and she has been told OS and app are not compatible doe anyone know if this is true. If so what is our way forward do we buy latest OS or upgrade and then get the new Quark ?

Also is the process of upgrading the OS easy ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can choose to upgrade to Tiger 10.4 or Leopard 10.5, installations are almost always hassle free, but as with anything, back-up first just in case

You can pick up Tiger on ebay, especially if that mac is an older machine, you will need a G4 processor of at least 866 Mhz to run Leopard

As for Quark, personally I have moved to InDesign, after using Quark for years, after the initial change pains you will not want to use Quark again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I also used Quark. If the user upgrades to a new machine running Tiger and is non Intel then all is well. Quark 6.52 and Leopard work OK but I also moved to Indesign rather than Quark 7 or the newest 8. Longtime (mid 80's vers 3 was the first) Quark user. Quark will install with Tiger but will use Rosetta to do so. Make sure they install 9.2.2 FIRST before loading Tiger IMO. Font issues will drive you nuts.

The issue is that the Intel boxes will not load the "non Intel" version CDs so at some point a version adjustment is necessary. Quark 6.52 and Leopard will work just fine but you cannot load Quark 6 CD when in Leopard. It has to be Migrated from another machine to work on an Intel machine.

This is not techie but if the person is not capable of getting the message, they should buy current and load it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Its a G5 2Ghz Dual with 1.5Gb RAM and so is her best action to purchase a 10.4 or 10.5 upgrade then either get Quark 7/8 or InDesign.

Can the 10.4 or 10.5 be purchased from a dealer or mac shop as I have one locally ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.