How can you mass rename based on date on a MAC? Let me explain...

Reaction score
Here is the situation for one folder specifically as an example.
I have a folder with pictures I have taken of my son. Said folder has somewhere well over 1700 shots. These all have different names, and I would like to name them w/ a date. Obviously that is far to many to name individually, and I can't do it in a normal bulk rename and have it name them w/ the date in the name. What I would like to do, or is ideal, is to have some sort of an ap that will rename them in mass, but will do it based on the date. For instance: Maybe I could set "Caleb" as a parameter, then it will go down the list and name them like this:
caleb-10-21-07
caleb-10-22-07-01
caleb-10-22-07-02
caleb-10-23-07
caleb-10-27-08
ect...
Does anyone know of a FREE solution to do this? I have lots of folders to do this with, but the ones w/ my kids are the big ones...
Also, I wasn't sure what section to put this in, so if this isn't right, feel free to move it.
And thanks for any help!

In case it matters, the Mac is a:
MacBook
2.4 Core-Duo
Mac OS X 10.5.4
2gb RAM...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not sure about the date part without checking but have a look at Name Mangler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You could do it with a shell script. I wrote one a while back that allowed you to rename based on the EXIF created on date. This one would be pretty similar.

OP
V
Reaction score
Name Mangler is awesome, thanks for the tip, it won't do it though. If you add date, it does todays date rather then the created date... :(

I would have NO idea how to write, or even use a shell script. Is it hard?

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!
I found a great way to do it a minute ago. Adobe Bridge! Works like a charm! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Awesome! even easier! I write (or edit) scripts every day, so for me they're my preferred method, just was on my way into work this morning.. and running late (course I'd worked all night anyway).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Automator is OS X's in built way to do such things.

Ctrl click a file > More > Automator

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.