Did you buy a recent MacBook?

Reaction score
I am about to buy my first MacBook computer. However, I need to know exactly what the MacBook graphics specs are using an Intel GMA X3100 graphics card. I have looked all over the internet and I'm not able to find exactly what I'm looking for.

If you have a MacBook (just bought recently!), and not the Pro, please download this very small program which tests the specs of the graphics card:

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

Then answer these:

1) What does the OpenGL version say on the start screen?
2) Click "Details" right next to the OpenGL version. Can you copy the textbox and past it here?

I would really appreciate this! Thanks.

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
Here's a screenshot...

Picture 1.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, that gives me an idea. It is much better than what I thought for a MacBook. What about the Report/Detail button? There should be a long textbox giving more info. I would appreciate it.

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Is the current card in the macbook's capable of doing alot of graphic design work?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is the current card in the macbook's capable of doing alot of graphic design work?

Yes the only thing it can't do is heavy 3D rendering.

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook Black 4GB RAM Mid 2008
Generally speaking Photo Shop uses memory and since the MacBooks can be increased to 4GB's the use of the RAM along with the graphics card makes around a 5% difference between the Pro and MacBook models.

Very good indeed.

Aperture however relies on VRAM so is less efficient.

The MacBooks are great machines, you'd be wrong to think they're inadequate because they're the base model.

Its a great machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ed, or anyone else, I am concerned with something.

Can you run that program again and see what OpenGL Version it reads on the bottom? It should say OpenGL Version: 2.1, or something similar. I'm just curious what it pulls up. It isn't in that screenshot you showed. It should be displayed on the main page in text. I would appreciate it!

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It appears to be version 1.2

Picture 2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.