Two Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I am a very new and inexperienced Mac user but a fairly old hand at Photoshop. One behaviour that torments me is the way PS acts on the Mac. I need to credit designers when posting layouts. I like to have my image open and I run through the layers assigning credits. I do it with Pages now. But as soon as I make Pages active, the layers palette closes in PS. I can still see the image, that stays put but I need the layer's palette open. Can I force this? (I run dual monitors but it doesn't matter which way I configure them, the layer's palette snaps shut as soon as activate another window in another program. Sigh).

Second question. I am a hobbyist, not a pro. I used IMatch as my digital management system with my PC. I have had a difficult time finding a relatively cheap (in the $200 range) image management system for my Mac. This is quite different than PC world where they are plentiful. I have had to use MediaDex which is incredibly not robust and has no support whatsoever. I would love to move to another program but a professional one is out of my price range. IPhoto is not sophisticated enough and does nasty things like copy images to the hard drive (I have several EHDs). Does anyone have any suggestions? I have googled for a few months now to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any replies, apologies for the length of the post.

Reaction score
1. Not that I'm aware of, that's just the way it is.
2. Have you tried Photomechanic or IView Media Pro?
Go look at macupdate.com, I'm sure there are several.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much

for your response.

With respect to 1, I will now use a workaround and stop fretting about it.

With respect to 2, Photomechanic is not broad enough but iView might work (it is now a Microsoft product call Expressions. The full suite is quite expensive but the digital management Expression is $199 US which is not too bad).

I will also check the site you give. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the interest of feedback

I have started using the Note feature in PS to track my credits. Not only can I keep the layers palette open, I can also go check credits for any styles or actions I used that require crediting. Works so well I am chagrinned I haven't been using it from day one.

With respect to the digital imaging program, I did try the download version of Expressions but it fell a little short. I have decided to go with iPhoto for now. It is not everything I want but I can tweak it and the price was perfect. ;)

I did mess with Bridge a lot more but there were just too many problems and I have to say that much as I like it, it does crash fairly regularily. So far, everything is working, fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Help needed

Hi,

Can i now there is some software through that i can get my own
photos to canvas. I am searching this software from last many times but didn't come up with results.

Thanks in advance.

Addy

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HAve you looked into Adobe Lightroom 2?

Thank you for the reply. I did but Lightroom does not display pngs. I played a lot with iPhoto but the size of the catalogs is too limiting (even with iPhoto Buddy) so I am probably going to go with MediaExpressions 2. I have the download trial and am working with it until the trial expires before I buy just to make sure. I feel really burned by my MediaDex purchase and don't want to spend the money (but more importantly, the time! the time!) to have to keep changing programs. It can be a laborious job to annotate everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.