Macbook 2 Fried Harddrives

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
My buddy just gave me his black Macbook because he had a few too many problems with it and just got sick of it. He has had two hard drives go bad on him, the first one a Hitachi 160gb drive that came with the macbook, and a second Toshiba 200gb drive. I am thinking about ordering a new drive on NewEgg but wanted to get some recommendations on drives from you guys.
Also the old drive came up fine in Disk Utility when ran from the Tiger CD...
After the first boot though, the computer would just sit on the spinning pinwheel and eventually all of the icons would disappear. After that I tried installing leopard and it wouldn't get past the boot, it would just show the Apple logo on a grey screen with a spinning wheel type thing...

Any ideas? Is it just a odd coincidence that 2 hard drives have gone on this laptop or something worse that could be in the motherboard or something?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Also will any 2.5" 1.5gb/s SATA drive work in a macbook?

Thanks Again,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Rex32,

Sounds to me like putting in a new hard drive would only be asking for more trouble, at least right now... If there is any warranty left, by all means take it to an Apple Store... If there isn't any, I would take it by anyhow and see what their diagnosis is and what kind of estimate they give you for repair.

Knowing the trouble and cost gives you the option for them to repair or for you to do the repair yourself (www.ifixit.com).

Good luck,

Noel

EDIT: Here are some WD Scorpio choices at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=wd+scorpio&x=20&y=24

OP
R
Reaction score
Noels,
Thanks for the reply. The laptop is out of warranty and I'm at school right now and there aren't any Apple stores anywhere near here...
The hard drives aren't too expensive so I might just try to fix it and test it myself and sell it or something. I don't want to sell someone anything faulty but if it is running fine for a few weeks after swapping in a new drive, I'd say its fine.
Are there any sort of utilities I can run to test the motherboard and what not? I know of the Apple Disk Utility but is there anything more advanced that I can run from a CD/DVD?

Thanks,
Mike

OP
R
Reaction score
Anyone have any input?
More advanced diagnostics would probably yield more results, does software like that exist for Macs? I've always been a Windows user so this is all fairly new to me.

Thanks,
Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.