Thinking of getting a Mac

Reaction score
So i almost bought a macbook (pro) back in april, a lot of people suggested one. I am really into photography. Unfortunately I decided to get a hp tablet tx2000. Now I wish I would have got the mac book. Anr right after I buy a new gateway desktop we get a macstore in norman oklahoma. I could have got a iMac. So now I think, do I attempt to sell one or both, take the losses and buy a mac instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Go for it. You can use your MBP as your main computer easily.... just get an external keyboard and mouse, and its basically the same as having a desktop.

OP
J
Reaction score
Im not sure if I want to sell the desk top and spend a little extra and just get a iMac. Sell the laptop and get a Macbook, or spen a little more and get a macbook pro, or just sell both. My first computer was a outdated idk what with windows 95 in 97 or 98, I was raised on crap lol

Reaction score
I love my MBP. I use it as my every day desktop. I definitely recommend it.

Reaction score
Photoshop, Aperture, Lightroom all run like a champ on my 2.4ghz Pro. I regularly edit 100mb+ files without really any lag time. And I only have 2gb of RAM. I really don't see the need to upgrade yet.

Reaction score
Im not sure if I want to sell the desk top and spend a little extra and just get a iMac. Sell the laptop and get a Macbook, or spen a little more and get a macbook pro, or just sell both. My first computer was a outdated idk what with windows 95 in 97 or 98, I was raised on crap lol

I had a 13" 2.2ghz whitebook and it was incapable of heavy photo editing. Plus, the screen is too small. You can get away with 15.4, but even then I recommend an external 20 in+ monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4g, 2GB, 200G, 15.4
I will agree with most here. The MBP is hands down the best machine to have when using it for photography, besides a Mac Pro. I have one and I shoot freelance photography, soon to be part time at my local paper and swear by the MBP

OP
J
Reaction score
mbp's are so expensive... So I have a friend that might buy my hp tablet. We are gonna talk about it. Hopefully that will be 1000. Than maybe get financial aid for next semester of college. And just save for the mbp.

Reaction score
I say sell both and buy a MBP unless you never go anywhere.
my MBP is my main computer and it works fine and if I go somewhere and I need a computer I simply take it with me!

but if you wont be going much with it just get an imac then.

Reaction score
mbp's are so expensive... So I have a friend that might buy my hp tablet. We are gonna talk about it. Hopefully that will be 1000. Than maybe get financial aid for next semester of college. And just save for the mbp.

Aloha JoshuaTrana,

You could also do what I did - join the military (Retired Navy here) and go to school at night. The military has tuition assistance as well as the GI Bill, and it's not a bad paycheck. Plus, you'll get a military discount at the Apple Store as well! I was admittedly kind of shocked when it was first applied to my MacBook Pro purchase.

I got kind of lucky in that within the initial 14 days, a new model of MacBook Pro came out (I originally had the Core Duo, then the Core 2 Duo came out 6 days later). I took mine back to the Apple Store, then was told that the military discount was inadvertently not applied for the initial purchase. After the military discount and the 10% restocking were applied, Apple ended up owing me money. Aside from helping to ensure the liberties and freedoms that come with the American way of life, you get some pretty darn nice perks as well.

HawaiiMacAddict

OP
J
Reaction score
I had considered military, but I have a bad ankle, piece of bone cut out and two repaired ligaments, and I hurt it again this past saturday, so its not teh best idea for me.

Reaction score
Aloha JoshuaTrana,

After 22 years of active Navy service, I now have osteoarthritis in both my knees, so I can empathize with you on your ankle injury. Actually, it's a good thing I retired when I did, as the pain increased severely about a year later. It's manageable, with painkillers, but oh well - that's life.

Anyway, good luck with your finances and your school work. You may be able to get a reduced price on any Mac hardware through your school. I know that my alma mater, Hawaii Pacific University, while not outright supporting Macs in their Computer Science courses, does offer a somewhat reduced price on Mac laptops.

HawaiiMacAddict

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.