Design Student Looking to Buy New iMac

Reaction score
I was curious, what do you guys recommend for a design student needing a reliable, cost-effective computer? I can't decide between a 20'' and a 24'' and was curious if you guys had any input on what works best for running the Adobe programs and working with photos.

I would appreciate any additional feedback from anyone who has experience working with these in the field.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
24" is always better but that depends on your budget

I don't know which one we have at work, I'll take a look, I am on a mac pro

Reaction score
You'll want as big of a screen as your budget allows. I've been doing design and prepress for 16 years (yikes! I'm feeling older now) and there's nothing quite like having a lot of desktop acreage. I recently upgraded to running dual 24" monitors in my office at home (thanks for the "outdated" G5, dear employer) and it's worth the expense. Especially when I'm working on large layouts where there's a lot of stuff going on it's very nice. Best of luck in the studies. I started out in the business as an engineering school drop-out working as a temp with a small start-up company and wound up with a career. Who woulda thunk it?

shawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
On the other hand, we only have 20" displays in our design agency. They're fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Both will do what you want nicely. But for screen reale state and cpu/gpu power the 24" is hard to beat in an all in one computer. On the other hand the 20" is the best value for money computer around in my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.