iPod in Cold

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Last night when I went out I brought my iPod with me. I live in Eastern Canada and it was quite cold out last night, probably around -10 celsius outside. I figured this was fine as on the Apple site is says 0 celsius to like 40 celsius for operation, and -20 celsius to like 50 celsius for storage, so it wasn't too cold to be stored idle and not playing. I was driving, so I let my car warm up a bit before turning the iPod on. Everything seemed to be working fine, and then after I had picked up my friends and we got to the theatres I shut off my car and left my iPod plugged into the casste adapter (stupidly). I thought it would turn off after 30 seconds of idling, or whatever as it normally does. But when I came back to my car, about 2 hours later, I found the Apple logo on my iPod (still on), and my battery almost drained from about 3/4 full on the indicator. I checked to see if it was ok, tried to change songs, etc but the movement was sluggish so I just shut it off and unplugged it. When I got home a few hours later, I let the iPod warm up and stuff, and now this morning it seems to be working fine.

I have two questions
- Did I hurt it?
- Did I lower my battery life?

B

Badger

As long as it charges and works normally it is probably O.K. The temperature ranges are not absolute limits and are usually set with a safety margin. From my experience with laptops in Quebec the battery life span probably wasn't affected by a single incident but don't let it happen too often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Yeah I live in London ONtario and it's crazy cold here right now (yesterday was -28 celsuis w/ wind chill) and I know what you mean about the screen movement being really slow....I would definitely be careful about how often you take it out in those conditions and for how long. From house to car I make sure that I keep it in my pocket and not exposed....

Mojo027 said:
Last night when I went out I brought my iPod with me. I live in Eastern Canada and it was quite cold out last night, probably around -10 celsius outside. I figured this was fine as on the Apple site is says 0 celsius to like 40 celsius for operation, and -20 celsius to like 50 celsius for storage, so it wasn't too cold to be stored idle and not playing. I was driving, so I let my car warm up a bit before turning the iPod on. Everything seemed to be working fine, and then after I had picked up my friends and we got to the theatres I shut off my car and left my iPod plugged into the casste adapter (stupidly). I thought it would turn off after 30 seconds of idling, or whatever as it normally does. But when I came back to my car, about 2 hours later, I found the Apple logo on my iPod (still on), and my battery almost drained from about 3/4 full on the indicator. I checked to see if it was ok, tried to change songs, etc but the movement was sluggish so I just shut it off and unplugged it. When I got home a few hours later, I let the iPod warm up and stuff, and now this morning it seems to be working fine.

I have two questions
- Did I hurt it?
- Did I lower my battery life?

Reaction score
I had mine out in the cold. I also live in canada (was -41 C w/ wind chill). I had it out then andi it was playing. Although i turned it off and put it in my pocket. As soon as i got inside, i turned it on. The screen was kind of dimmed. After a few minutes it goes back to normal. I think it can't go into the cold because of the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.