Hello from the UK

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone can help. I have an Intel Imac and an Airport Extreme Base Station. The Airport is WPA2 secured and is connected to the Imac by a cable (I believe it is called an RJ45?). In Network preferences I am shown as being connected to my network via Airport. (Do not know if it is relevant but if I click the padlock to prevent changes the name of my network remains but is greyed out although I am still connected to the net).
All is working well EXCEPT that after I shut down or go into sleep mode, when I access the Imac again and try to get on the net or to access mail, I cannot do so without going back into Network preferences, since the Imac seems unable to see my network Then I find the Imac is seeking to get onto the web via Ethernet which of course it cannot do. I have to go into diagnosis mode and change settings to connect via Airport after which I again have no trouble. This is very frustrating and I expect there is a simple fix, but I cannot find out what it is.
FWIW i have a DSL modem and no difficulty connecting direct with Ethernet cable, bypassing the Extreme. When using Airport, the green Airport light is on all the time and does not change, notwithstanding the above behaviour. Have had no luck with posting in UK help forum and wonder whether anyone on this Forum can help? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you right-click the Airport icon on the menu bar and switch of your airport.

Connect your modem to the DSL/WAN port of your airport extreme. Then Connect your imac with an ethernet (RJ45) cable from the ethernet port on your imac to one of the other ports on the Airport Extreme (doesn't matter which of the 3 you use).

Can you use the internet on your imac now?

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Welcome to the forum! There's quite a few Brits here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
Indeed! Welcome fellow UK citizen!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Welcome - Mrplow's instruction should work for you. Seems like although you connected an Ethernet cable, your computer was actually talking to the Base Station via wireless (airport).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.