Dummy can't figure out how to go wireless.

N

noahsmom

I have an eMac "wired" to a cable modem. I want to go wireless on an Airport ready (card installed) iBook. I do not want to go wireless on the eMac because of the expense of another card. I have purchased a graphite Airport station (1 ethernet port.) How do connect the modem to the station without disconnecting the eMac? Do I need an ethernet hub, ethernet switch or a router? I have gotten at least 10 different answers and everyone swears they are right. AAAAAAHHHHHH Even the configuration order details I have been getting are contradicting.
Thanks,
Noahsmom

OP
Z

zeppster

You could take that airport back or sell it or whatever. Spend a little bit more money on the one that came out right after the graphite airport and then you could use the emac wired and the ibook wireless.

Reaction score
Isnt that airport base ONLY for wireless internet? Like you plug the modem in and it just send out wireless signals to what ever wireless card? But whatever. If you can return it then get another router. I reccomend D-link or linksys. You can plug the cable modem into the router, then run a cable from the router to the eMac. Then the iBook's airport should pick up the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, get a linksys wireless router. then run the cat5 from the emac to the router, and connect the cable/ internet connection into your adsl modem, then run the ethernet cable from the modem to the router, thats it on the emac, its now wired and working as a hub/access point. open safari, and enter the ip address that came with the router, set up the router, etc. then on the ibook, turn on the AP card, and open safari and do the same, just enter the ip address into the url space in safari, continue to set up the wireless connection, use wep,and thats it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.