internet keeps disconnecting

Reaction score
im using my 24'' iMac and its on wireless and sometimes when im browsing a site it'll just keep loading and take forever (it normally doesnt) and my instant messaging programs are connected but don't work so i unplug my router and plug it back in and after then everything goes back to normal but its too annoying to have to do this every 20 minutes

im using a netgear router and it usually disconnects or stops working if im on a site with a lot of images or stuff on it. or if im trying to download something. sometimes i cant even update some of my programs because it will disconnect the internet.

do you think this is the mac's problem or the router? because of this ive been going back to my pc for a while now but i rather be on my mac if the internet didnt keep disconnecting

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Using WIFI or ethernet?

If WIFI try ethernet and then report back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Try what Del says, but to me it sounds more like a router problem. Does the Mac show that it is still connected when this happens or does it disconnect?

OP
M
Reaction score
Try what Del says, but to me it sounds more like a router problem. Does the Mac show that it is still connected when this happens or does it disconnect?

when using ethernet it works fine but i cant use ethernet anymore cuz i moved my mac and its not any where close to my router where i can just plug in a cable so thats why im trying to use wifi

the mac shows that its still connected but its not really since it wont let me doing anything involving internet

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Yip another case of flaky WIFI under OSX

I had this for months and solved it by turning WIFI off and going down the Ethernet route. What i done was buy two ethernet adapters that plug in to the mains electric and use the mains wiring as the networ i.e. it routes the data through the electric wires of the house, then you just plug your ethernet cable in to your computer and the other end of the cable in to the adapter at the wall socket.

No more dropped connections :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Yip another case of flaky WIFI under OSX

I had this for months and solved it by turning WIFI off and going down the Ethernet route. What i done was buy two ethernet adapters that plug in to the mains electric and use the mains wiring as the networ i.e. it routes the data through the electric wires of the house, then you just plug your ethernet cable in to your computer and the other end of the cable in to the adapter at the wall socket.

No more dropped connections :)

Not necessarily, I have had a few routers flake out on the WiFi connection but keep the wired connections active. Cheap routers are known to do this (and most store bought routers like Netgear and Linksys etc., are cheap), especially if there is a good amount of data going across the network. The only way to truly check this is to have another computer (I used my Linux laptop) connected at the same time and see if it happens to that one as well. That is how I found out that it was the router and not my Mac. The problem was solved by procuring a Cisco router, which worked like a dream. Then I also got a Time Capsule which also works as a great router, and I have had no problems with that either.

OP
M
Reaction score
Not necessarily, I have had a few routers flake out on the WiFi connection but keep the wired connections active. Cheap routers are known to do this (and most store bought routers like Netgear and Linksys etc., are cheap), especially if there is a good amount of data going across the network. The only way to truly check this is to have another computer (I used my Linux laptop) connected at the same time and see if it happens to that one as well. That is how I found out that it was the router and not my Mac. The problem was solved by procuring a Cisco router, which worked like a dream. Then I also got a Time Capsule which also works as a great router, and I have had no problems with that either.

ya i had two other computers and they were pc's and the connect was fine tho even when the mac wasnt.

so wats the cheapest way to solve my problem? the wall wifi adapter thing or buying a cisco or time capsule?

and ya i know the cheapest would be to try to move my router closer to my mac so that i could connect it with a ethernet cable. lol

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Up until April last year I was using 3 PC's with a Belkin router because out broadband is at one end of the house and we wanted PCs in different rooms. But recently I got a new 24" iMac and to say I love it is and understatement, but the one problem I've been having is the wireless internet. I've never had problems on my PCs but they're getting old and I think I may replace them with Macs so I don't want this probelm persisting. If anyone has a solution to this, I would be very thankful.

Reaction score
I seem to be losing my connection on the wireless Mac downstairs. My router is upstairs. It is really frustrating to lose the connection so easily. Is the mac wireless weak?

Reaction score
Yeah i'm having the same problems, but the weird thing is my wireless never used to be this way. My wireless disconnects every couple minutes, and im not exaggerating. Its starting to really **** me off because I have to end up re-writing a lot of online things.. and this only started to happen about a month ago. And the only reason I used wifi is because my router is all the way downstairs and it would be a hassle to get it to connect up in my bedroom. Any easy suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.