Microsoft Office for Mac Help

Reaction score
I am trying to make a decision as to whether to get Microsoft office for mac or iwork. when it comes to Microsoft, it seems that the reviews are so varied. Either people hate it or love it. I am not a power user. I use excel to make simple spreadsheets and use power points once in awhile. My main useage would be word and excel.

My confusion comes with wondering how compatible this is with a PC. Or if it is at all. If I create something on my Mac in Microsoft word for Mac, can I transfer it to a PC or send it as an attachment? can I transfer it to a PC and do any editing?

I mainly ask this because right now I am the only one in our home or church who own a Mac and I'm trying to figure out what will work the best in "communicating" with other computers.:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am trying to make a decision as to whether to get Microsoft office for mac or iwork. when it comes to Microsoft, it seems that the reviews are so varied. Either people hate it or love it. I am not a power user. I use excel to make simple spreadsheets and use power points once in awhile. My main useage would be word and excel.

My confusion comes with wondering how compatible this is with a PC. Or if it is at all. If I create something on my Mac in Microsoft word for Mac, can I transfer it to a PC or send it as an attachment? can I transfer it to a PC and do any editing?

Absolutely. The two are very compatible.

I mainly ask this because right now I am the only one in our home or church who own a Mac and I'm trying to figure out what will work the best in "communicating" with other computers.:)

If you intend to be swapping documents routinely with Windows users, Microsoft Office is your best bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
Hi Kristie, in my opinion if you don't really use that much all the office tools or docs that aren't to complex I would suggest Open Office its 100% free and works great on Mac and is compatible with microsoft office files such as powerpoint, excel and word. you can download it for free at www.openoffice.org

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 | 6 GB OCZ Platinum | RME HDSP9652
I agree with everyone. I have MS Office, and yes, it's incredible compatible with the Windows versions with a few exceptions. But it's quite expensive, so OpenOffice may work better for you for just doing things here and there. It's definitely worth trying first, as it may save you a lot of money.

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm asking for Your help because I'm kind of an e-failure... :(
I just bought this new MacBook (the black one) and got the Microsoft Office 2008 Home and Student for MAC OSX... Everything goes well until the online registration of the product, but when it comes to doing that, and I write the WindowsLiveID and my password in, nothing happens... I mean it starts loading, but the little green dots just run and run around for ages... Perhaps it can't load an image... Can You guys help me to solve this problem.. I'm so stupid... :(

And I have to do a PowerPoint presentation for tomorrow... :'(

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm asking for Your help because I'm kind of an e-failure... :(
I just bought this new MacBook (the black one) and got the Microsoft Office 2008 Home and Student for MAC OSX... Everything goes well until the online registration of the product, but when it comes to doing that, and I write the WindowsLiveID and my password in, nothing happens... I mean it starts loading, but the little green dots just run and run around for ages... Perhaps it can't load an image... Can You guys help me to solve this problem.. I'm so stupid... :(

And I have to do a PowerPoint presentation for tomorrow... :'(

I don't know what's wrong, because after I installed the software it worked, but after I restarted the computer, every time I try to start an application (Office) only this bloody registration window opens, and every time I try to do it, the above mentioned thing happens... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Contact Microsoft first

If you cannot fix that problem use Keynote to make the presentation and export it to Powerpoint, or if you are presenting it on a mac, keep it in Keynote, its a much better presentation program

Reaction score
Contact Microsoft first

If you cannot fix that problem use Keynote to make the presentation and export it to Powerpoint, or if you are presenting it on a mac, keep it in Keynote, its a much better presentation program

Thank You for the advice! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.