White (and Black?) MacBook .... HELP! (really)

Reaction score
A funny thing happened on the way to the Mac forum ...
(funny and true story) :D

So the "Top Case" for my "White" MacBook is chipping (on the palm rest) and I went in to get a replacement for it at the local Apple Store. (under warranty)

My problem arose when I thought it would be neat to have a "Black" Top Case instead of a "White" one (on my White MacBook) ... a unique request and according to 1.800.MY.APPLE - a FIRST! I was slightly shocked when it became increasingly clear how difficult Apple would make this, Stating that it was a "different part number" (!) and "their system can't handle" the Black and White part switch without ceasing the warranty(?!).
Exact same part (it fits exactly!) ... just a different "part #" and color (that's it, period). I was on the phone for a good hour (plus), I had everyone along the way (kinda) with me saying it really shouldn't be that difficult (!) ... but, ALAS they wont do it. I even offered to pay the difference in cost. (black plastic?!?!)

How high should/can I go with this simple request? (imho)

Please, anyone?, help me in my quest for this B&W "Harmonic" Vision

cheers,

Ash / Case #104779198

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think it's more of a matter of principal. Warranties are designed as a remedy to protect against manufacturers defects. Their only obligation is to return the machine back to the state it should have been in as you originally took delivery of it. While I'm sure the part is absolutely identical, they also wouldn't want to repair it with a different part other than what it was sold with - what if you changed your mind at some point in the future and decided you didn't like it? They need to worry about setting a precedent.

OP
UncleAsh
Reaction score
"Their only obligation is to return the machine back to the state it should have been in as you originally took delivery of it."
- Agreed. (but, a black one would fill their obligation AND make me happy) - not to mention all the press!(?)

"While I'm sure the part is absolutely identical, they also wouldn't want to repair it with a different part other than what it was sold with"
- I hear you, but all I'm asking for is a black top case in a white MacBook. I'll pay the dif.

"what if you changed your mind at some point in the future?"
- Never, I swear.

"Decided you didn't like it?"
- I'll like it, I swear - I'll sign a contract.

thanx

This is surprisingly difficult for an "identical" part.
... maybe I should just settle for vanilla? (never)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
there is a recent thread here of someone who just did this. they just bought a new one off amazon, or ebay or something. if it's not available with the warrenty, and you really want it black, suck it up and pay for it.

EDIT:here is that thread:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=713253

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Their only obligation is to return the machine back to the state it should have been in as you originally took delivery of it."
- Agreed. (but, a black one would fill their obligation AND make me happy) - not to mention all the press!(?)

"While I'm sure the part is absolutely identical, they also wouldn't want to repair it with a different part other than what it was sold with"
- I hear you, but all I'm asking for is a black top case in a white MacBook. I'll pay the dif.

"what if you changed your mind at some point in the future?"
- Never, I swear.

"Decided you didn't like it?"
- I'll like it, I swear - I'll sign a contract.

thanx

This is surprisingly difficult for an "identical" part.
... maybe I should just settle for vanilla? (never)

My last sentence was the key there - they need to avoid setting a precedent.

OP
UncleAsh
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! That looks awesome - imho.

okay ... it's NOT going happen at the Mac Store.
(and not with Apple's blessing)

lets say I fund a "do-it-myself"?
... then they say the "warranty is void"!?
(because of "mismatched part #'s", not allowed by Apple)

once again, all because the COLOR is different.
(It just sounds funny - my friends that I tell this to are dumbfounded.)

Think Different indeed. I know, I know ... "precedent".

thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
Just do it yourself. I did. I love it. Mine was also cracked. It wasnt difficult to do at all

Reaction score
If you want to Mod your macbook then you have to pay to play. I had my macbook for like 2 weeks before i did this. Whats so good about a warranty. :D

2758756328_1bcfec25ea.jpg

2757920535_9f22d21e58.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you want to Mod your macbook then you have to pay to play. I had my macbook for like 2 weeks before i did this. Whats so good about a warranty. :D

You'll be eating those words if you ever have to replace a logic board or display. ;D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You'll be eating those words if you ever have to replace a logic board or display. ;D

Regards.

You got that right. I had to have my Macbook's logic board replaced (for the audio out that had a fault at that) under Apple Care, and it would have been a $1200+ repair were it not for that (extended) warrantee.

Get it repaired under warrantee with the same part then when it expires do your mods. By then you should know what is going to fail or not, it won't matter anymore, and you'll get what you want in the looks department, along with a spare top case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
what if you go to the apple store and buy it from apple then get a tech to put it on.. or are you saying they cant do that either?...

OP
UncleAsh
Reaction score
i can't do that either.

Think Different
The more I think about this the funnier it gets. My friends can't believe this is even an issue. I sent off a postcard to Apple to plead my case - I can't believe how adamant they are about this. I keep getting reminded about the different part numbers and policy. If this was a car dealership (or other business) they would have done it the second I walked through the door.

I know, I know ... precedent

I even came up with a logo for this MacPanthers movement:

macpanthers.jpg

OP
UncleAsh
Reaction score
... Should I let them win this battle?
This reminds me of a scene from the movie "Five Easy Pieces"

Dear Ashley,

Thank you for your recent correspondence to Apple.

The parties with whom you have previously communicated are empowered by Apple to address concerns such as yours. In each of your communications you have been provided with the same answer from Apple.

To summarize the response for your records, Apple has stated that a black top case cannot be used to replace the top case for a white MacBook. We suggest using an accessory compatible with MacBook if you would like to change the external appearance of your computer without voiding your Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty.

We regret that you are not satisfied with this final response, because Apple strives for customer satisfaction. It is our sincere hope that this situation will not diminish your enjoyment of the products and services that we provide.

Your concern has been documented in Apple case number 104779198.

Best regards,

Kristy
Apple Customer Care​

"We suggest using an accessory compatible with MacBook"
I replied that a Black top case can be used and is compatible.

MacPanthers.jpg

Reaction score
My topcase cracked about 3 months ago and i also asked them if they could replace it with a black one at the store. I talked to the 3 "genius"s that were there and they said they couldn't do it, and also talked to the manager and it was a no go.

now with my warranty over, and the top case cracking again, i'll probably do it myself, but why are they so darn expensive for a piece of plastic?!?!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's the same reason it's so darn expensive to get a plastic bumper for your car - it's only made by one company, for one particular make and model. Since they have a lock on the market, they can charge whatever they want for the parts. Sad but true.

OP
UncleAsh
Reaction score
It's not that Apple is doing anything "wrong" - they said they would cover the chipped top case under warranty - cool.

but ... I've said it before and I'll say it again. Its' the exact same part! except for the freakin' COLOR. I'm just miffed that everyone so far at Apple said it "can't be done" - when it can - and if I have it done they will void my warranty over it. It's a simple switch made complicated by policy.

It's not just a piece of plastic either:
"keyboard is integrated into the top case, this part also includes the trackpad assembly."
$150 doesn't seem so bad?

"tranquility within, tranquility within"

MacPanthers Unite!
macpanthers.jpg

OP
UncleAsh
Reaction score
UPDATE: So after sending a postcard off to Apple, and talking to a bunch of folk in TX, they are not going to budge - nada, no way. They did send an “Appeasement Travel Mug” (ouch) as it’s called on the invoice, I got it yesterday, cheers!

Beats a sharp stick in the eye!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
UPDATE: So after sending a postcard off to Apple, and talking to a bunch of folk in TX, they are not going to budge - nada, no way. They did send an “Appeasement Travel Mug” as it’s called on the invoice, I got it yesterday, ouch.

At least you got something for your troubles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.