Mac Slow Down W/ Windows? Due 2 Registry?

Reaction score
As I type this from my new 2GB 160 GB macbook, I have yet to resolve a few issues coming in my way.

The problem is that I need to use windows due to some software issues. But what really got to me was that I read somewhere that if you buy a PC, no matter how much RAM, fast processor etc you get; it will slow down because windows xp/vista has a registry that overtime eats CPU and RAM. So in the long run your machine will freeze, crash and become slow.

Questions?

1) I'm thinking about about loading in Window Vista into my MAC. Will this by ANY chance permanently slow down my macbook overtime? How will my OS X be affected?

2) This question is about installing Windows. Is bootcamp given for free?
Also I heard there are a few softwares such as Parrells that allow to run both OS at the sametime; Which software do you suggest? Why? Which one is better priced with MORE features?

3) Can partition of the hard drive be edited with Parrells without deleting any files/data?

4) Let's say I have a 2GB macbook. And let's say I have windows vista loaded with parrells software. Will my 2gb ram be divided 50/50 between Vista and OS X even if I'm NOT using Vista on parrells and just using ONE operating system at the moment? In other words in the end will only be left with 1GB memory for each software even if I'm not running the other? Because that would seriously suck.

5) This one is about buying Windows Vista. Can I possibly get windows vista for cheap? Will the most basic version of Vista include microsoft word? Tell me of ways that I could get it cheap. For example if I a friend of mine has bought window Vista- Can take his CD and load it with the product key and be safe? I don't want to pay through the nose with vista.

PS. Please don't post Mac vs. Windows flaming wars. Both OS has their own problems, benefits and special uses. I like both. But Mac is pretty good in my books so is Windows.
5)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
As I type this from my new 2GB 160 GB macbook, I have yet to resolve a few issues coming in my way.

The problem is that I need to use windows due to some software issues. But what really got to me was that I read somewhere that if you buy a PC, no matter how much RAM, fast processor etc you get; it will slow down because windows xp/vista has a registry that overtime eats CPU and RAM. So in the long run your machine will freeze, crash and become slow.

Questions?

1) I'm thinking about about loading in Window Vista into my MAC. Will this by ANY chance permanently slow down my macbook overtime? How will my OS X be affected?

No, Vista will not affect OS X nor the Macbook's speed. If you install Vista in Boot Camp it will be completely separated from OS X and none of the OS X resources will be used. So OS X will not not affected.

2) This question is about installing Windows. Is bootcamp given for free?
Also I heard there are a few softwares such as Parrells that allow to run both OS at the sametime; Which software do you suggest? Why? Which one is better priced with MORE features?

Boot Camp is a set of files that come with OS X. Free. Yes, Parallels and Fusion are both virtual machines that allow you to run Windows in the OS X environment (not in Boot camp). Windows does run slower in a VM, however. I uses Parallels. Both programs are good, but I didn't compare the two, so I'd suggest maybe you could go to each web site and do the comparison and decide for yourself...

3) Can partition of the hard drive be edited with Parrells without deleting any files/data?

Sorry, I'm not sure about that, but my guess is probably...

4) Let's say I have a 2GB macbook. And let's say I have windows vista loaded with parrells software. Will my 2gb ram be divided 50/50 between Vista and OS X even if I'm NOT using Vista on parrells and just using ONE operating system at the moment? In other words in the end will only be left with 1GB memory for each software even if I'm not running the other? Because that would seriously suck.

I Parallels, you get to select how much RAM you want to allocate to Windows and how much to OS X. I suspect Fusion is the same.

5) This one is about buying Windows Vista. Can I possibly get windows vista for cheap? Will the most basic version of Vista include microsoft word? Tell me of ways that I could get it cheap. For example if I a friend of mine has bought window Vista- Can take his CD and load it with the product key and be safe? I don't want to pay through the nose with vista.

Vista does not contain Office software. That is a separte purchase, but there are free Mac programs that will work like Office (eg, NeoOffice). To get Vista cheap, you might want to shop the web. Start at Newegg for good pricing. You cannot use your friends copy of Vista. Once he had activated it on his machine, it cannot be re-activated again until it is uninstalled from his machine. Running a single copy on 2 machines is illegal.

PS. Please don't post Mac vs. Windows flaming wars. Both OS has their own problems, benefits and special uses. I like both. But Mac is pretty good in my books so is Windows.
5)

NoelS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well do us a favour and not use it! Simple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.