• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help with dealing with...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
... Some one who calls in the middle of the night.....

Basically last night (and nights before) some one calls my house in the the middle of the night. The first two calls they just breath, and then the next calls they ask to talk with my Dad. I say that I am my Dad, and the person is like "No, this is Kevin, Give the phone to Mr. Baradar." I would say, " He's not here, he's sleeping..." Then I hang up..

Next call comes, and I start yelling expletives at him, saying once I find out who you are, I'm going to ...(Let you use your imagination here) ;)

Caller ID shows that the number is "Private". and The rest of the night the phone was off the receiver.

This has happened before, but only like three times and it was like a year ago...

So if he calls back tonight, I set up a rig with my phone connected to my MBP so I can record his voice, and maybe I'll get and it will be one of my brother's dumb friends.. and I can teach him a lesson...

(I would let my Dad take care of this but he is on a business trip)

So I was wondering, if the phone company could get past the "private" and get me his number. Or if the police can do anything about it...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Most phone companies will let you block calls from numbers that don't display their caller ID. Look into it, it comes in handy and I have done it before. The phone company and the police are unlikely to do anything.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most phone companies will let you block calls from numbers that don't display their caller ID. Look into it, it comes in handy and I have done it before. The phone company and the police are unlikely to do anything.

Sounds good to me, but don't those people that with hold their number just have to press 00, or some number combination to get through?? I'll talk to AT&T about it..

And what is going on?? Was there posts that got deleted or something?? Cause it looks like you are talking to your self..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ya, it was my other personality gone amuck....

No, the other party will told they can connect if they allow their info to be shown to you. The system will tell them how to do so and then they have the option of hanging u or giving you the info. "Private" won't go though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I once had an old, sick and very sad guy who hated the world and everyone in it, bar himself, keep phoning me at all hours of day and night because I'd shown him some sympathy for his plight. In the end, despite my repeated requests for him to stop phoning me, I had to resort to using shock tactics.

No, not expletives, but an infrared alarm. The battery powered type, which you mount on your porch or in your garage to warn you when someone passes nearby. Whenever the old guy rang me I'd wave the phone handpiece across the i-r alarm, and then hold the mouthpiece close to the screeching piezo. That cured the problem.

Maybe it'll work for you.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I talked to At&T today, and they said that they will set a "trap" for them, and then they will give the information to the police, Cause I filed a police report, since what they are doing is illegal. And then they will take care of it from there.

And I was talking to AT&T and they said Caller I.D. comes with the ACR, which I didn't know. So I activated that too...

No more annoying kids..

Thanks for your help guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.