File sharing over the network.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been having a bit of trouble with this.

I want to be able to share folders between the computers in my house. 2 macbooks and 1 windows laptop. right now i'm mainly concerned with the 2 macbooks.

I've enabled file sharing on both computers, and in the finder I am able to see the other computer. However, I've specified certain files on my operating system to be shared over the network but they're not showing up in the "Public folder" even after I set them as shared.

It seems as though if I want the other computer to have access I have to actually move the folder in question into the public folder in order for others to see and have access to it. I don't like that.

Is there any way I can make this more similar to windows in that I can just set a specified folder to be shared and then it will be available to all others on the network?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for you help.

Reaction score
Hey wezman2k...

You need to enable File Sharing in System Preferences > Sharing, add a folder and add a user to access the folder.

Check out this article:

http://www.proposedsolution.com/solutions/ps0022.php

Part 2 of the article gives you info on sharing the folder and adding the user. The whole article Part's 1 to 3 will help you with your Windows client too.

Hope this helps ye out dude.

Rosco

OP
W
Reaction score
Right, I've already done all that.

This is really, really ticking me off. I've been playing with it more this morning. Here's the scenario:

I want to be able to share my music folder (or whatever else) over the network. In other words, I want my roommate to be able to connect to my "iTunes Music" folder as a guest, and copy off of it what he will. I don't want anyone to have to enter in any login information so I'd really prefer to be able to do it as a guest. The problem here, however, is that my iTunes music folder will not show up on his computer in his Finder window.

The strange part is that his shows up on mine with no problem. I went onto his Macbook, enabled his iTunes music folder as shared, made sure everyone had read only permissions and it's fine. I go on my MBP and connect to his through the finder and everything shows up...I can copy whatever I want over to my computer.

I'm using the same settings on my MBP and my iTunes folder won't show up for him while connected as a guest. My Public folder shows up, and if I drag my entire iTunes Music folder over into my public folder, he can access it no problem, but obviously I don't want to leave my iTunes Music folder in my Public folder, I wanna be able to share it from any directory. I'm having no problem doing this on my friends Macbook but it just won't work on my macbook pro. They're using the same versions of Leopard and everything. If I log in to my computer from his under my Admin user ID and password, the shared iTunes folder shows up and again, we have no problem.

Furthermore, if I enable a folder like "Pictures" or "Documents"...it DOES show up on my roommate's computer under a guest account.

***, why is this totally random...does this make sense at all?

Reaction score
Same Problem

I am having the same exact issue. I recently purchased a new MBP, latest gen. Had folders shared to all OS's (XP, Ubuntu, OS X) with past MBP with no problem. With my new MBP, nothing shows up except personal folder. I've even repaired permissions, etc.

-Cameron

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.