Need help with editing my hosts file

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to edit my etc/hosts file, but I just can't seem to be able to do it. I go into terminal, and type "sudo etc/hosts" and then it asks me for my password. I assume it means the same password it asks for when I install stuff, but the problem is I can't type anything in. The keyboard is unresponsive when I'm trying to type it in, and the only button that works is enter, which earns me a "sorry, try again" message.
Does anybody know what's wrong? Can anybody help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz
Hi,
I'm trying to edit my etc/hosts file, but I just can't seem to be able to do it. I go into terminal, and type "sudo etc/hosts" and then it asks me for my password. I assume it means the same password it asks for when I install stuff, but the problem is I can't type anything in. The keyboard is unresponsive when I'm trying to type it in, and the only button that works is enter, which earns me a "sorry, try again" message.
Does anybody know what's wrong? Can anybody help me?

Well let's see

sudo is not an editor it is used to get root access

and etc/hosts is an invalid path

try this

shad-macbook-pro:~ shad$ sudo su
sh-3.2# nano /etc/hosts

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If nano is an editor, then:

sudo nano /etc/hosts

Reaction score
When you type your password, you wont see anything, but it's being inputted.
Type your password (yes your login password) and press enter. Sudo doesn't give feedback like **** but it's working.

OP
B
Reaction score
When you type your password, you wont see anything, but it's being inputted.
Type your password (yes your login password) and press enter. Sudo doesn't give feedback like **** but it's working.

Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Can't type in Terminal

I have Mac OS X 10.7.5
I need to edit my localhost file.
After I enter
sudo nano /etc/hosts
It's asking me to type a password.
And when I am typing the password it wont type at all. Looks like my keyboard is not working.
It's stay still with the sign: To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

but when I type ''exit" - it works.
How can I type my password?
Help me please

Reaction score
Um... look at the two posts above yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I need to edit my localhost file.

Lots of people screw up their internet access this way. Since you don't seem to know much about the unix underpinnings of OS X (you don't know how to edit, or enter the correct password, or what the file reference means - /etc/hosts), maybe you should tell us what you want to do before doing anything bad...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.