Back to my Mac problem

Reaction score
Hi

I am a little confused about how Back to your mac works.

I have a Macbook Pro / Macmini at home running latest leopard and a iMac at work. At work I can see my Macs at home, however from home I cannot see my work iMac.

Now I know the problem is NAT-PMP is not working on our corporate firewall, I have read that ports UDP 5400 and TCP 433 are used, and I can add those into the firewall. However am I punching a NAT from an external IP > internal IP with those ports? How does back to your mac know to use my external IP for the NAT?

If its based on our public IP (eg the IP that my iMac has going to the internet) then this is different from what i can put on a inbound IP. All our outbound traffic goes via mutiple ADSL and our inbound is via a leased line on the main Watchguard firewall.

We have about 15 macs here and I know almost everyone would like to use this.

Another option is to use a VPN, but when I am on the VPN it still does not allow me to go back to my mac. Never shows up in my network machines, can I force in some way?

Any advice?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.