Not recognising more than 6gb

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 quad xeon, it came with 2 x 1gb ddr2 FB-DIMM 800mhz, i've tried to add an extra 4 x 2gb ddr2 FB-DIMM 800mhz matched pairs in banks 2,3,4

The memory is recognised in only bank 3, it seems bank 2 and 4 are not working, or am i doing something wrong?

Thx in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
I would suggest pulling the factory RAM, installing 2 sets (4 sticks) of the new in the appropriate banks. See what you get then add the next set. Mac Pros work the best when both boards are used so the first 2 matched pairs one should be on each board. Do a search there is a layout recommendation for adding RAM in the best order.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Yeah its my guess that you got the layout of the banks wrong, its an easy mistake to make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The Mac Pro will "see" at least 8 GB of RAM - that is what I have in mine and it all shows up. Keep working at it, you will get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.