Problem with IE positioning, help please

Reaction score
I'm having problems with the positioning of my site in Internet Explorer and was wondering if anyone here knew of a solution? It works fine in all other browsers (Safari, Opera, Firefox), but in IE the picture is shoved up above my title banner, covering it up. I don't really know what to do as i can't add any margins or padding to make it work in IE since it will mess it up in other browsers. I would really appreciate your help, thanks.

By the way, here are a couple links so you know what i'm talking about.

http://www.backpackingangler.com/FOTM-main.html

http://www.backpackingangler.com/Home.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
It looks like your top section (in one of the DIV) is not growing with your image. I can see the beveled edges are only maybe 25px tall, and didn't grow to match the image size which is sliding into the main area. Set the height attribute of the banner/logo at the top of the page to match whatever the image needs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok i will try that when i get home and let you know. Thanks very much for the advice.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok i set the height for both of the divs that come above that picture and it's still messed up in IE. Don't know why it's working fine on all other browsers........

I really have no clue what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
try adding

auto 0;

with your other margins in wrapper. and maybe position: relative;

ie seems to not follow what everyone else does.

im working on a website for a friend, i know it opens fine in css. if you want to check it out its at geocities.com/jrutis for now.

i just learned css and im still working through it, but i hope that can help you a little bit.

Reaction score
There is a trick for example in php:
<link href="something.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
<!--[if lte IE]<link href="something_ie.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />[endif]-->

It means you can prepare 2 css files: one for IE and the other for others.
But be careful if you'll put the IE css before others then there will be no diff. it has to be written on the second place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
not a bad idea but i do not think this is necessary. I think firefox and others ignore the special ie commands cause they dont know what to do with it

and ie ignores the firefox and others since it does not know what to do with that code.

correct me if im wrong, this is just the general jist ive learned from the bit of css i have been doing lately.

Reaction score
If you write like this
<!--[if lte IE]<link href="something_ie.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />[endif]-->

The IE will work wrong
For IE is the same as you type just

That's why the order is important.

You can also use this in some parts of html code that IE is having problems, for example usually the problem is DIV or TABLE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.