I love my MacBook Pro, but somethings wrong, and I need serious help ASAP!!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, and just to clarify, my user name was supposed to be Time Is The Enemy, but I didn't notice it got cutoff. Anyway, I recently got a MacBook Pro for college, and I love it but something is wrong. Out of the box, the superdrive makes these pretty loud and abrupt clicking noises. For an extremely powerful machine, I thought this was something weird. Nothing on this laptop makes noises, not even the system fans. So, I called the Apple store where I bought it and made an appointment but I slept in and missed it, great. So my question is, if there is in fact a problem with the super drive, what happens? I payed over $2,000 for this puppy, and I dont want the "Geniuses" taken it apart and putting a new drive in. I don't trust anyone with my stuff except for me. I love this Mac, but I starting to get angry. I know I won't be able to get a new one, because I have heard Apple returns and exchanges are near impossible, so that looks unlikely. But is there anyway I can just get a new one? I do have the extended warranty and everything; I purchased that when I bought it. I am so angry and annoyed and irritated. I LOVE this machine, but how can such an expensive and top of the line laptop, wait let me rephrase that, how can the most powerful laptop on the market come out of the box faulty? That's rather irritating.

Also, I tried to install XP on my MBP, and I kept getting an error saying that it could not locate the disk. But the disk did show up on my desktop at first, then disappeared. I just need XP so I can play my PC games in between classes, or maybe in class :) So, am I doing something wrong? Does the disc need to have service pack 2 written onto it? Or should any XP disc work?

So, what are my options everyone? Can I try to get Apple to give me a new MacBook Pro, even though I am so attached to the one I am typing on right now. I want to love Mac's, but this is ripping my heart out.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to all the responses!

-Time Is The Enemy

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting apple first to see if it is possible for a new MBP?
Also I would trust a certified techy with my MB, after all they are qualified also if they mess something up hopefully they will cover all damages and have it repaired unless they have you sign a release at the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Your best bet is to actually take it into the store. Don't make an appointment online, they more than likely will be able to get to you while you're there.

Apple will replace or exchange the product if it's defective. That is assuming you've bought it just recently and everything. Not letting the genius replace the defective drive is just silly. They are trained technicians they have the knowledge to repair these products, if they can't do it on the spot they'll send it in to be repaired elsewhere.

Just talk to them in person and take the MBP, let them look at it and they will tell you what's wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Don't make an appointment online, they more than likely will be able to get to you while you're there.
DO make an appointment. Otherwise you are likely wasting your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't trust anyone with my stuff except for me.
Get over it. The Apple staff that will be touching your machine know what they are doing.

One of the issues I had with my refurb was a loud DVD drive like you. They replaced it and fixed the video issue it had. In fact, the tech was going to give me a new machine until he realized mine was a refurb. My purchase was a week earlier, so if yours is a recent purchase, they just might do that for you.

The XP install disk must be a version with service pack 2 already integrated in it. So you need to go buy a copy if you can find one, now that Microsoft officially doesn't sell it any longer, as of July 1st.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
SuperDrive making that sound is Normal!

Hey mate,
I also bought a new MacBook Pro in just February & it has been making that sound in SuperDrive right form the beginning since i opened the box. My cousin has a MacBook & her macbook also makes the same sound.
So, I think its normal.

So get over that sound buddy.
Even though its an expensive puppy, its not perfect!

And yes, you need to have Windows XP disc with Service pack 2, that is the requirement for the Boot Camp.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
DO make an appointment. Otherwise you are likely wasting your time.

That is not entirely true. Every time I have been to the Apple store I've been able to walk in, tell them I need a genius and then sign my name on the guest queue. You can make an "appointment" in store. It won't be a waste of time to just walk in and do it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That is not entirely true. Every time I have been to the Apple store I've been able to walk in, tell them I need a genius and then sign my name on the guest queue. You can make an "appointment" in store. It won't be a waste of time to just walk in and do it there.

This is entirely true. I walked into the 5th Ave store (Manhattan) yesterday to see if I needed an appointment in order to ask a question about a problem I'm having. The girl I asked kindly asked what my problem was, had no idea about the solution, then went to a "genius" who also suggested the wrong answer (because he was also clueless) and then she was about to try and get further help because she knew that when I said what I wanted to do was possible, that I was right, even though the "genius" wasn't sure.. I simply told her not to worry about it.

So no, you don't necessarily need an appointment. It's just to bad that the genius wasn't such a genius after all. Called tech support on the phone and the guy there knew what he was talking about, thankfully.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sure you can get lucky. But I've seen the other side. A guy came in without an appointment. One of the sales reps signed him up for one right in the store, for 3 hours later! All the guy wanted to do was drop off his Powerhbook to be fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
It's no hassle to make an appointment online, and if you do so, ensures you will definitely see someone when you walk in.
Dont be so worried about giving you MBP over to a technician to look at it. Would you rather trust yourself to replace the optical drive on a computer you've only had for a few weeks, or leave it in the very capable hands of a trained professional?
My optical drive started playing up a few weeks ago, i took it into the store (after booking an appointment :p ), and they replaced the drive within an hour. They also replaced the front keyboard area because it had a small crack in it. £280 worth of repairs, but luckily i was 2 weeks away from the end of my warrenty so didnt pay a penny, (close though).
So basically..... book an appointment, make sure you wake up i time, go in and see them and im sure that if it's a genuine problem they will fix it free of charge if its still under warrently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.