RapidWeaver and Siteground Qustions

Reaction score
A starving artist here, so please don't recommend dreamweaver. Didn't want to have to wright code (know just enough to mess up a website). Like what iweb can do, but it doesn't have the power to run the applications we need. Downloaded iweb enhancer but could not find support for the javascript. Downloaded the trial version of rapidweaver, but found i was still wrighting code and the tutorial must be for version 4 (have 3.56 because running tiger) and i can't move a image easy (wrighting code again, or is that because i used a 3rd party template). So the question is, can i upload a iweb made site and then edit code to run the applications, make links and so forth from the Siteground (just got it) cpanel? If so, would taking the time to learn Joomla or Drupal or something else make it easier? Need to have my website up within 2 months, do i have the time to make it happen. Is there something i've over looked? Most of what i know comes from reading this forum, Thank You to those that make it happen.

Edit: Title should be iweb and siteground. Experience is building a few websites with a few hosts sitebuilders. Changing code by finding what i want and cut and paste. Don't like the blue arrows iweb adds to image links. Quick learner, easy forgetter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There is Insert-->"HTML Snippet" in iWeb, but I'm not sure of it's limits. You can make links to and from iWeb pages. When exported form iWeb, they are just HTML pages. Since you are talking about writing code, I suggest you stay away from iWeb.

The benefit of something open like Joomla or Drupal is it should be easy to find help, and even add-on applications. So dig in to both to find their capabilities. The thing about prebuilt tools is they have their own logic that sometimes can be difficult or impossible to work around.

You may be able to find the applications you need. Sometimes they cost, and other times you can find freebies. Write a list of what you need and start doing the research, starting with the libraries available for those above tools.

As for time, it sounds like you are starting from scratch as far as knowledge and experience goes. The learning curve will bite into your time greatly. Keep to a basic goal. If you get too fancy or want to add extras that don't really matter, you will likely miss your imposed date. Really though, depending on your goals, even 2 years may not be enough!

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
So the question is, can i upload a iweb made site

yes

and then edit code to run the applications, make links and so forth from the Siteground (just got it) cpanel?

Not quite sure I understand the question.

What do you mean by "and then edit code to run the applications"

What applications are you trying to run?

Do you mean you have an iweb made website and you want to link to joomla or a phpbb forum etc

if so then it is just a plain old url link using the
Code:
<a href="">
tags

OP
Outlaw
Reaction score
xstep,
Thanks for the reply, iweb html is weak and already found out pre-made tools have there limitations. I know Your right about the time, just want to get the site up with a few pages and a simple blog and shopping cart, then add more later as i learn.
Thanks again,
Tim

OP
Outlaw
Reaction score
Del,
Yes i've uploaded iweb built sites before and used sitebuilders before. What we are wanting to do is upload a basic site made with iweb then add blog and shopping cart using the web host (Siteground) control panel. What would be the best way to do that?

iweb makes ugly blue arrows on my art work when they are
made into links. Have yet to find a pre-made template that
we can live with.
I'll keep reading sitegrounds tutorials and see what i can find.
Looks like time is running out.

Thanks,
Tim

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you log in to your siteground control panel, look for the fantastico icon, this gives you access to installer scripts for forums, shopping carts, photo galleries and more.

Then in iweb just edit your home page so that it links to the url of the installed application.

Ugly blue arrows are (im guessing here cos i dont use iweb) probably just graphics, so just select them and press delete and they will be removed from the html that makes up your web page

Reaction score
Well dreamweaver was the best , it is the best ,still try the adobe or the Joomla stuffs.
Still i would prefer you the dreamweaver

OP
Outlaw
Reaction score
Del,
WooHoo You gave me the answer i needed, had seen the fantastico but had not read about it yet. I will start there. Thank you.

Tim

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Del,
WooHoo You gave me the answer i needed, had seen the fantastico but had not read about it yet. I will start there. Thank you.

Tim

Not a problem, glad to be able to assist

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.