Bootcamp with XP or Vista?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
I want to get boot camp so running so I can play a greater variety of games, and I was wondering if I should get Vista or XP? Before I switched to a Mac, I had XP and avoided Vista like the plague because it had just come out and I heard horrible things about it. So, I'm wondering if these horrible things have been fixed yet and if it would be a better idea to go with the latest version of Windows or just stick with XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
nmccready,

Vista has come a long way, baby :) And people are becoming happier with it every day, especially since SP1. BUT, having said that, all the PC mags that compare benchmarks NOW still show Vista coming up slower than XP, by 10-15%. If it's games you want, I'd suggest going with XP. You'll more likely get faster play than with Vista.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i installed vista on my macbook for gaming, and i'm installing xp later this week. i would suggest xp. it runs using much less of your system (leaving more for the games). i believe most pc gamers are still sticking with xp for the time.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
Alright I'll go with XP, thanks. By the way, does anyone know what version of XP would be the most appropriate? It seems there are pro, home, corporate, and maybe other editions of Windows. I'd probably go with whatever is cheapest as long as it isn't lacking any features that I'll need.

-Edit-

Or better yet, can I borrow a friend's Windows CD and install it without running into any trouble? I recall a friend having trouble getting updates after doing this with his Mac, but I think that was with an illegitimate copy of Windows.

Reaction score
I would definitely run XP if you're looking to do gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I also agree on the XP. Unless the games you play use DX 10. Then you'll need Vista I believe.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm planning to play games that come out in the years to come... is it likely future games won't support DirectX 9 or whatever XP uses? Are there graphical benefits to running DirectX 10?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
nmccready,

There have been rumors for some time now that MS will port DX10 to XP. But it is a possibility that future games will not be written for DX9. I think MS has had its hands slapped by its customers over the way it handled the DX10 foibles and I believe it is being re-thought...

Your guess is as good as mine. Right now Vista has the DX10 edge, but Vista IS still slower with games...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.