Deliberation Time

Reaction score
I am currently a Junior in High School in Oklahoma. To this day, the only computer I have owned is a desktop PC. Of course I have upgraded it throughout the years, but I am really in need of a laptop for the next four to six years for work and play. I have considered many options, from PC notebooks to Mac notebooks. I believe I have come to a final decision that I want a MacBook Pro with two GB memory and a 200 GB hard drive; however, I do have many questions. Hopefully y'all will be able to help me!

First of all, let's start out with the activities I do on my computer. Currently I design (w/ Adobe Photoshop CS3), do school work (w/ Microsoft Office), and listen and watch media. I do realize that I will have to buy all new software once I get a Mac, but that won't be a problem.

Now come the questions. As I have heard, there is an upgrade happening for the MBP in the next few months. Is this true, or just a loose rumor? Should I wait to buy my new MacBook Pro?

What are some of your experiences with this machine? Does it seem to be durable and last in a "backpack environment?" Does the machine overheat more than other PC notebooks?

Comparisons of PC notebooks and the MacBook Pro would be extremely helpful for me as well.

Also, any advice you might have for me would be greatly appreciated. Please help this potential buyer!

Thanks,

Chase

LSC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2-2Gb-160Gb
I am currently a Junior in High School in Oklahoma. To this day, the only computer I have owned is a desktop PC. Of course I have upgraded it throughout the years, but I am really in need of a laptop for the next four to six years for work and play. I have considered many options, from PC notebooks to Mac notebooks. I believe I have come to a final decision that I want a MacBook Pro with two GB memory and a 200 GB hard drive; however, I do have many questions. Hopefully y'all will be able to help me!

First of all, let's start out with the activities I do on my computer. Currently I design (w/ Adobe Photoshop CS3), do school work (w/ Microsoft Office), and listen and watch media. I do realize that I will have to buy all new software once I get a Mac, but that won't be a problem.

Now come the questions. As I have heard, there is an upgrade happening for the MBP in the next few months. Is this true, or just a loose rumor? Should I wait to buy my new MacBook Pro?

What are some of your experiences with this machine? Does it seem to be durable and last in a "backpack environment?" Does the machine overheat more than other PC notebooks?

Comparisons of PC notebooks and the MacBook Pro would be extremely helpful for me as well.

Also, any advice you might have for me would be greatly appreciated. Please help this potential buyer!

Thanks,

Chase
Answers

Everything is loose rumor until Apple actually announces it.
I have only heard the MacBook is getting the upgrade, not the MBP but I could just have my rumor radar on the fritz.

My experience is the MBP does nothing that the PC can't do but it does do them with more style and better ergonomics. I don't know about the backpack scenario but my works fine with the standard computer travel case. I do think the MBP is made better than most of the PC's. As to overheating, my PC ran as hot or hotter.

Comparing the two is something you can research and should do for yourself. The MBP and PC operate differently but do the same tasks. The OSX is very stable and I'm totally not into Vista but my office machines run XP and it's not really that bad. Just buy for informed reasons and don't get caught up in anyone's hype and you will probably be very happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.