To bluetooth or not to bluetooth

J

joetherower

I am going to buy a new ibook G4 some time next month.

I am not sure whether i should get bluetooth with it or not. Does anybody else have bluetooth or use it a lot?

Is it worth it???

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I like it, since I like using BluePhoneElite with my phone, plus it's nice to be able to sync all my contacts between my phone and my Personal Information Manager. It's nice to even have that option...

OP
T

tariq

I didnt get it when I got my PowerBook. I don't have a use for it as I don't have any BlueTooth mice, cellphones or peripherials and don't plan on getting any.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Well, if you have nothing at the moment which uses Bluetooth and you aren't sure whether you will get any Bluetooth-related items in the following year, then don't bother. Use the money saved on something like RAM at the moment because it's more useful. If you think you might need Bluetooth sometime soon, then you could always get a Bluetooth USB dongle.

OP
C

code777

do you have a bluetooth cell? if so then get it as you'll be able to get online anywhere using ur cell as a modem - if not, pass and put that towards RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
If you can afford it then I certainly recomend you get bluetooth now. With all the new gadgets coming out there is bound to be something you might like that requires bluetooth and using a dongle on a laptop is inconvenient.

I didn't think I was going to need bluetooth when I got my PowerBook two months ago but since then I am loving a nice cordless bluetooth mouse, my new PocketPC (ipaq 4700) can sync with bluetooth and my cell phone has bluetooth that makes it nice to have on the Powerbook.

Adding it later (internally) isn't an option unless you want to void your warranty or you can talk an authorized dealer into doing it for you for alot more money than what you'd pay now.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Well, I am making the same decision on my mac, as I am ordering my powerbook tomorrow. Prior to purchasing my first ibook Jan 2004, I had no bluetooth electronics whatsoever. I went ahead and purchased the optional bluetooth, and before I knew it, I had a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and a new bluetooth cell phone. The addition of an internal factory installed bluetooth module is $50, how much ram is 50 gonna get you? 512mb of additional ram is already $100, so when you think about it saving 50 on the bluetooth and putting it on the ram really isnt gonna help all that much. You would be surprised how much more convenient it is to have bluetooth. The way technology is going now, the cost of bluetooth cells, pda's, mice, keyboards and soon printers will be cheap, and I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. besides who wants a usb bluetooth module sticking out the side of you nice pretty ibook?

OP
M

mangoSharingan

jaster said:
Well, I am making the same decision on my mac, as I am ordering my powerbook tomorrow. Prior to purchasing my first ibook Jan 2004, I had no bluetooth electronics whatsoever. I went ahead and purchased the optional bluetooth, and before I knew it, I had a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and a new bluetooth cell phone. The addition of an internal factory installed bluetooth module is $50, how much ram is 50 gonna get you? 512mb of additional ram is already $100, so when you think about it saving 50 on the bluetooth and putting it on the ram really isnt gonna help all that much. You would be surprised how much more convenient it is to have bluetooth. The way technology is going now, the cost of bluetooth cells, pda's, mice, keyboards and soon printers will be cheap, and I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. besides who wants a usb bluetooth module sticking out the side of you nice pretty ibook?

Exactly my point. If you have a need for Bluetooth-enabled items, then get it preinstalled in. When I meant you could save the money on RAM instead, I didn't mean spend the £30 on RAM but you could use it to help pay for more RAM. For example, you could just get an extra 256MB or pay more and get 512MB. Back to Bluetooth, if you are only going to be using it like once every fortnight or something to download stuff to your mobile or whatever, then a dongle would be cheaper (and you ain't going to be carrying your iBook around with a dongle stuck in 100% of the time anyways). But if you are going to use it frequently like with a printer or mouse, then obviously go for it preinstalled.

I myself have a mobile phone with Bluetooth on it but I never use it, plus I can't really think of anything essential I will be getting in the future that uses Bluetooth so I chose not to waste £30 to have it built in my iBook. I was actually close to adding it in at the last minute but then I decided not to. :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well the powerbook comes iwth bluetooth preinstalled anyway, so no worries there...

I use bluetooth constantly to send things to and from my phone (think pictures off cameraphone, free games etc and syncing contacts and calenders)

Plus I also got a wireless apple keyboard that also uses bluetooth..

OP
C

code777

the only thing i use BT for is with my v710 and of course Verizon has (or Moto) diabled file transfer by BT. Scam... anyway I do use my cell as a modem when I'm in transit (bus) and it works like a charm. I can stay online while driving on a highway till my iBook goes dead. Granted it uses minutes but say i'm going on a trip on a saturday - i'm golden. It kills times!

OP
O

oldmaddog

Setting up bluetooth keyboard for iPAQ 4700 with Powerbook

I recently purchased an iPAQ 4700 and was able to set up and sync with my Powerbook G4 using Missing Sync. I have since purchased a Universal Smart Keyboard to use with the iPAQ. My problem is I have been unable to install the keyboard software on my Powerbook to transfer to the iPAQ since the installation programs are in PC format. I really need the keyboard for effective use of the iPAQ in my work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help
PCC

rberry88 said:
If you can afford it then I certainly recomend you get bluetooth now. With all the new gadgets coming out there is bound to be something you might like that requires bluetooth and using a dongle on a laptop is inconvenient.

I didn't think I was going to need bluetooth when I got my PowerBook two months ago but since then I am loving a nice cordless bluetooth mouse, my new PocketPC (ipaq 4700) can sync with bluetooth and my cell phone has bluetooth that makes it nice to have on the Powerbook.

Adding it later (internally) isn't an option unless you want to void your warranty or you can talk an authorized dealer into doing it for you for alot more money than what you'd pay now.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Either way, bluetooth comes standard with any new ibook or powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The Apple site doesn't say that the 12 inch PB comes with BT, just Airport Extreme. There is also no option to add or delete BT from any Apple laptops, so this whole thread is rather pointelsss.

OP
D

DigitalN.

baggss said:
The Apple site doesn't say that the 12 inch PB comes with BT, just Airport Extreme. There is also no option to add or delete BT from any Apple laptops, so this whole thread is rather pointelsss.
maybe check the date. that retard revived it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
My 12" PB came with BT, its great. I use it with my phone. I can put mp4, mp3 files on my phone with it, and listen to them through a headset, or use my songs as ringtones. I can also connect through the net through it using it as a modem, at near broadband speeds because of Cingulars EDGE network. I also send videos to my phone, and use it as a sort of temporary memory drive. Sync contacts, all kinda stuff. I also have a BT mouse and keyboard, works great. The PB doesn't have enough USB ports, and the BT really frees them up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.