• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

xbox live hookup

Reaction score
Ok, this is all new to me and I am trying to figure it out. I currently have a macbook in which I receive full signal wirelessly. To play online, do I need to just hookup the ethernet cord from the laptop to the xbox, or does it need to be hooked up to something else. The reason I am asking is because the modem is not the closest to where my computer would be. I would be greatful for any and all information on how to get it hooked up. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
Needs to be hooked up to the Wireless Router dude..

Either through one of the ethernet ports at the back, or via a wireless gizmo that Microsoft (Xbox) Sell for around £60.

Nothing to do with any laptops. Take it out of the equation :D

Reaction score
Needs to be hooked up to the Wireless Router dude..

Either through one of the ethernet ports at the back, or via a wireless gizmo that Microsoft (Xbox) Sell for around £60.

Nothing to do with any laptops. Take it out of the equation :D

Lewwy, Thats not true :D. you can use your laptop to bridge the wireless connection to your xbox... I used to use my powerbook to bridge to my regular xbox. Im almost certain that on an apple its not required for you to use a crossover cable (although I always did). You should be able to use a regular cat5 cable, plug the xbox into your laptops ethernet port. and go into system preferences, go to sharing, and turn on the internet sharing. Tell the system to bridge your wireless connection to your ethernet port. That should be all you need to do, let us know if you have any further questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
Whoops, appreciate the correction dude.

My bad for the shoddy information
(although my way *also* works) :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook
wow, i had NO idea you could do that. I was going to agree with lewwy and say the xbox has to be plugged into the router.

does this work with the 360s?

Reaction score
yes, it should work with ABSOLUTELY anything that needs plugged into an ethernet port. including another laptop, or desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Lewwy, Thats not true :D. you can use your laptop to bridge the wireless connection to your xbox... I used to use my powerbook to bridge to my regular xbox. Im almost certain that on an apple its not required for you to use a crossover cable (although I always did). You should be able to use a regular cat5 cable, plug the xbox into your laptops ethernet port. and go into system preferences, go to sharing, and turn on the internet sharing. Tell the system to bridge your wireless connection to your ethernet port. That should be all you need to do, let us know if you have any further questions

While you are correct, we are under the impression the OP believes he needs to use his Mac as a pass through for his 360 to connect to the Internet when in fact he simply needs to find a way to hook it up directly to the router. For all we know, his router is sitting in the same room as the 360, which would make hooking it up much easier than trying to patch it through the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.