is my MBP steadily falling apart?

Reaction score
I have another problem as I now realize that the closing screen is normal but what about this...when I look closely at my lcd screen the line where the metal case meets the outline of the lcd there is gaping at some points on the sides and corners, now im sure it is getting steadily worse and I know I shouldn't but I delicately push the edge of the screen and I can see the small amount of play between the metal, now surely it should all be flush like some parts are where it is black all along and looks quite fixated. help much appreciated guys thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have another problem as I now realize that the closing screen is normal but what about this...when I look closely at my lcd screen the line where the metal case meets the outline of the lcd there is gaping at some points on the sides and corners, now im sure it is getting steadily worse and I know I shouldn't but I delicately push the edge of the screen and I can see the small amount of play between the metal, now surely it should all be flush like some parts are where it is black all along and looks quite fixated. help much appreciated guys thanks!

There is a minute border of approximately 2mm around the entire screen area. This is normal. LCDs should not ever shrink the display like a bad CRT will - it's just not the way they work. Could you possibly take a picture to give us a better idea of what's going on?

OP
R
Reaction score
i cant take a photo as it doesnt capture what im demonstrating. its too small to be seen. its the gap between the lcd and metal casing I understand there is a small black border but its where the border meets the side of the casing. this should all be flush I believe (eg the screen against the metal surroud) but there is gapping and you can see a white light shining through which is obviously to do with the lcd display. sorry about the explanation it is quite hard to explain. I have it booked in for tomorrow to see a genius but any light that can be shed here is greatly received.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i cant take a photo as it doesnt capture what im demonstrating. its too small to be seen. its the gap between the lcd and metal casing I understand there is a small black border but its where the border meets the side of the casing. this should all be flush I believe (eg the screen against the metal surroud) but there is gapping and you can see a white light shining through which is obviously to do with the lcd display. sorry about the explanation it is quite hard to explain. I have it booked in for tomorrow to see a genius but any light that can be shed here is greatly received.

You mean the bezel around the screen? No, it's not flush with the screen, there's about 2mm step from the screen surface to the bezel.

OP
R
Reaction score
its too hard too explain, will post up what apple said and see what they say the problem is, i think without the laptop its not clear to explain, thanks for the replys though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
I know what you mean Jacker, I gawped at my MBP after reading your post and forced myself to see the white light you were talking about. I will try and take a picture to better demonstrate this phenomenon...

WL.jpg

NWL.jpg

I can't see it on mine and have never noticed it at all until you typed that. But I had to look up into the seam between the lcd and the metal surround. I wouldn't say that what you have is normal if you can see it looking straight on.

Mel

OP
R
Reaction score
I can't see it on mine and have never noticed it at all until you typed that.

yeah, thats the same here, you have to be looking for it. Took it too the apple store today and the genius said "it was within standard limitations" but said they would replace the screen anyway if I wanted it but be prepared it might be similar on the new screen. They were real good (as always) but the gap is quite bad at one corner so a few days and it should be in stock he said as the whole thing needs changed as its "all one part". Also going to get apple care a little down the line for my laptop as he did say its expensive but worth it as especially if there is a problem like on a MBP it is usually expensive for replacement parts. Will post how the new screen is when I get it on!

OP
R
Reaction score
Just picked up my laptop today from the Apple store. Looks 100% and do dead pixels etc, they were great at the store, apples service is second to none! Good job Apple!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.