Problems installing ram in aluminum iMac

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a 2 gig stick of ram into my iMac in the 2nd slot which has been empty until now, but the black "tab" that the manual talks about to unseat the ram appears to be too long. The black tab is so long that it is curled up inside of the slot so that if I put the module in there I don't see how it's going to seat properly because that black tab is going to block it. Has anyone else run into this? BTW... the other slot where the original ram is seated doesn't appear to have the longer tab inside.

Thanks in advance for your help....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What year\model of iMac? Looking at the Apple instructions from their knowledge base it shows two module slots: An upper slot and a lower slot.

Nothing is shown or mentioned about a black tab.... Apple says to use the ejector tabs to remove the modules. The ejector tabs swivel outward to remove an already seated module. The ejector tabs are probably swiveled in toward the module seat in the empty slot. Swiveling them outward should allow the module to be seated unobstructed.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.