Silent external hard drive?

Reaction score
Im thinking of using a MBP into a Lavry DA-10 DAC into my Naim HiFi.

I want to store my music on an external hard drive. Im considering the Time Capsule 1TB, connected via ethernet into the MBP. My mine concern is hard drive noise. Is the Time Capsule silent in operation/ if not, what would be the best for the task?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're getting the Time Capsule just for the 1TB drive and not to also use as a wireless router, then you're wasting your money. I would suggest getting a dedicated external hard drive instead, which are pretty cheap nowadays. You can also get drives that have both USB and Ethernet (aka NAS drives) if you're set on using Ethernet as a way to connect the drive to your MBP.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks,

After some research it would appear that the Time Capsule isn't a great option!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
We have multiple Seagate FreeAgent externals, and I can confirm that they are totally silent! The only way you know they are on is by looking at the orange light. Great to use for Time Machine as you would want them to be on all the time. They sleep when we put the macbooks to sleep and wake when the macbooks wake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I could also recommend G-Tech's G-Drives. I have two of them, and they are completely silent except when being accessed. The enclosures are fanless, which removes most of the noise. The hard drives themselves are nearly silent, again except when being accessed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.