Black Macbook OR low end Macbook Pro for music production???

Reaction score
Please, please gimme some help.

I've read the other thread with someone having a similar problem, however, i want to know if i should buy the Black Macbook or the low end Macbook Pro?

I have enough to get either, but i'm thinking would the Black Macbook run faster if i used the spare money from NOT buying the MBP to purchase 4GB RAM with it?

I'm looking to buy ASAP so any comments are much appreciated - THANKS!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, 250gb hdd
It reeli depends: What production software/hardware are you looking to use with the notebook??

Reaction score
I would buy the low end MBP, but thats just me. Most audio apps dont need 4gb. Its cheap to add later anyway.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'll be using Reason 4, Logic 8, Pro Tools (maybe) and possibly Cubase. I also need it for word processing and storing plenty of samples!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, 250gb hdd
OK, So even if ur running reason and cubase simultaneously you will be ok on a macbook, but one thing to do is to get a big external drive at 7400rpm to store all ur samples, soundfonts and everything.
The only thing u may want to do is invest in a bit screen because if you are making complicated dance tunes with 10, 15 or 20 open tracks you may find it hard on a 13inch screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8
I just got a black macbook with 4GB of ram and I'm quite happy with it =). It's smaller and lighter than the macbook pro, and almost as good if you don't think you need the extra screen space, plus about $1000 less.

I'm going to use the extra money I would have spent on the MBP on a nice big monitor to plug my macbook into while I'm at home, so it'll be almost like having a desktop and laptop in one computer (though I should probably get an external hardrive or time capsule for back up...I'm working on that).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
If you can afford it and dont mind the size get a MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
I don't know about music production, but Ive seen countless bands use macbooks in the past (cant have been more then 2gb RAM)

I'm sure you'll be fine whichever you buy.

Reaction score
Get the upgraded white macbook. Use the extra money to buy a bigger hard drive and midi keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
Get the upgraded white macbook. Use the extra money to buy a bigger hard drive and midi keyboard.

I second that, Reason 4 runs perfectly on my upgraded white Macbook (2.4 ghz 160gb HD 2gb RAM). Can't say I have tried the others, but i am buying either Cubase 4 or Logic 8 Pro soon so will let you know.

Mike

Reaction score
I would get the macbook and buy extra ram(not from apple). With the spare cash you could get yourself a monitor, external hard drive and even an external soundcard :)

If you were doing video work on the move I would have suggested the MBP.

Reaction score

Yeah, with the black MacBook you're essentially paying 100 bucks for a black paintjob. You can get a white one with the exact same specs for $1400 whereas the black one is $1500.

To my knowledge, the only difference between the low-end MBP and the high-end MB is screen size and a better video card. You don't really NEED either of those for music production, and you save $600 that you could use to buy a bigger monitor with anyway, if you wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
I'll be using Reason 4, Logic 8, Pro Tools (maybe) and possibly Cubase. I also need it for word processing and storing plenty of samples!

Thanks!

do you really need all those DAW's?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.