iPhones 3g problems are network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple didn't pick the wrong carrier, it simply went with the only option it had left. Verizon turned down the iPhone, and Apple wasn't about to go to the number three or four carriers with TMobile and Sprint, so AT&T was the only logical choice. This choice worked out best as Apple didn't have to design two iPhones, one for CDMA that would be used on Verizon and one for 3G, which is used in the rest of the world.

I'm just hoping AT&T gets around to speeding up 3G deployment. They've had four years to get it done, let's hope this sort of negative publicity will give them the push needed to do it faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Seems that Verizon really lost out on a lot of money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Either way, the people over at Verizon are morons that can't see a gold mine when its right in front of them. (the Dare...I dare you to buy this phone and light it on fire, it will be more useful that way, instinct...my instinct tells me its a cheap ripoff, oh wait, I have used it, and it IS!!!)

AT&T currently has few 3G spots around the US, while most of the hardware is already installed in areas where you just get edge, their full blown 3G doesn't come online until November. When that time comes I'm sure all the complainers will quiet down.

I smashed my iPhone 3G last night by accident, (long night at a party) and its fine. Gotta love the iphone. My griffin nu form case cracked in half though!!!

Reaction score
the study is lame. It only has the results of the iPhone 3g. It does not have any data to compare it to any other 3G phone or device. People are NOT complaing about their non apple 3g device are they???

Sure the ATT 3g network needs some improvements, but the iPhone 3g needs improvements and improved 3g chips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your statement is flawed. There has never been a phone that has accessed the AT&T 3G network in the manner the iPhone 3G has. This issue is further exacerbated by the sheer number of iPhone 3Gs on the network.

Studies across the world have proven that this is not a hardware problem with the iPhone 3G, it's clearly an issue with AT&T's network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Your statement is flawed. There has never been a phone that has accessed the AT&T 3G network in the manner the iPhone 3G has. This issue is further exacerbated by the sheer number of iPhone 3Gs on the network.

Studies across the world have proven that this is not a hardware problem with the iPhone 3G, it's clearly an issue with AT&T's network.

What on earth are you talking about ? What does "in the manner the iPhone 3G has" mean ? I'm using full on HSPA on my ATT Tilt for all sorts of "manners" such as AGPS (turn by turn when using appropriate software) and pretty much anything else you can think of. In fact, how about browsing some flash sites ? I can do that pretty well too. :Evil:

Oh and.. I have NO issues with the network. My question is, has anyone with a 3G iPhone ever tried to change the radio after Jailbreaking the phone ? And if so, what were the results ? It's well known that carriers use radios for certain geographical locations, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're the best ones in those cases. Many people change their radios with dramatically better (though not always) results afterwards.

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How many Tilts do you think AT&T has sold? 8525s? Or any other PDA phone that has 3G support? How close do you think that number is to the number of iPhone 3Gs sold since its release? So yes, the iPhone is a completely different animal in regard to its impact on the 3G network.

Reaction score
No its not, every 3g device accesses the 3g network the exact same way. If they want to prove its a poor 3G network, then they need to include other 3g devices other than the iPhone 3g. All the study shows is the iPhone 3g is a poor performer on the 3g network.

The iPhone 3g is just a different device with different apps for different uses, its really nothing special to the 3g network. If the 3g network was truly bad then people with other 3g devices would be complaining as well, and for a lot longer than the 3g iPhone has been out.

A 3g data connection is a 3g data connection is a 3g data connection

There are way more 3g devices out there than the iPhone. none have the call quality problems the iPhone 3g does along with the dropped calls the 3g iPhones are experiencing or with the poor 3g speeds and 3g connections. There is something buggy in the iPhone 3g.

My wife loves her 2g iPhone and its an awesome device, but the iPhone 3g needs some work. It was not tested enough before it was released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is an old story. A lot of things have changed after that.

It's dated 25 Aug 2008. So a week old is an "old" story?

A 3g data connection is a 3g data connection is a 3g data connection

There are way more 3g devices out there than the iPhone. none have the call quality problems the iPhone 3g does along with the dropped calls the 3g iPhones are experiencing or with the poor 3g speeds and 3g connections. There is something buggy in the iPhone 3g.

Not only do I disagree with that statement as a whole but I would challenge you to provide reliable data to back up that claim.

Reaction score
It's dated 25 Aug 2008. So a week old is an "old" story?

Not only do I disagree with that statement as a whole but I would challenge you to provide reliable data to back up that claim.

Which statement, the 3g data connection or the other types of 3g devices besides the iPhone 3G.

I know 3G netowrks because I maintain them, so tell me why you think a 3g data connection is different for a Moto RAZR than it is for a iPhone 3G.

Its just like pluging in a mac and a PC into the same router, they get the same data connection as the other, neither of them is treated any different. One device is just bettet than the other, but the speeds and connection are the same.

Well as for as the 3G part, the USA has the lowest number of 3g devices and the youngest 3g netowrk. You must remember that the US was one of the last countries to go 3g. Europe and Asia have been 3G for a long time. Some 3G networks are about 7 years old over there. SO any problems with the 3G network in Europe would have been found WAY before the iPhone 3g. The iphone 3g has the same problems across the pond as they do here, so with their superior 3g networks in Europe, why is the iPhone performing poorly over there? Its not the netowrk, it the phone.

Most all carriers have been selling 3g devices for a few years before the iPhone 3g, and even though the iPhone 3g has sold record numbers in the first months, its still low on the total percentage of all 3g devices out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The second part. Saying "I work on them" isn't proof or even reasonable evidence to support the previous post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iphone 3g has the same problems across the pond as they do here, so with their superior 3g networks in Europe, why is the iPhone performing poorly over there? Its not the netowrk, it the phone.

Did you even read the article? It clearly shows that users on the mature 3G networks of Europe and Asia are having no problems, and are experiencing speeds multitudes of those we get here in the US.

Reaction score
The second part. Saying "I work on them" isn't proof or even reasonable evidence to support the previous post.

that study is not proof either. In the US some are reporting good speeds while others are not. Again they did NOT compare a different 3g device to an iPhone 3g under the same circumstances.

Did you even read the article? It clearly shows that users on the mature 3G networks of Europe and Asia are having no problems, and are experiencing speeds multitudes of those we get here in the US.

Yes I read the articles, but it only talks about download and upload speeds. Not the droppd call and voice quality issues as well. I read some of the other links in that report and the guys bashing the network design really dont know what they are talking about.

AT&T's 3g netowrk is slower than Europes, and its been known for some time now. Its not something new, so comparing US iPhone 3g speeds to Europes iPhone 3g speeds is not a good comparision either.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/08/whats-wrong-wit.html

So until these people can compare an iPhone 3g to another 3g device and show a true comparison, the results of this study need to be thrown out the window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still seeing nothing to back up your claims...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He's also reinforcing the point that AT&T needs to speed up 3G deployment

Reaction score
I'm still seeing nothing to back up your claims...

I still don't see comparison data between the iPhone 3g and other 3g devices, so there is no proof the 3G network is purely to blame. One of the first trouble shooting procedures is to find out if its happening with just one phone model or many others. and since the iPhone is the only one with problems I leaning towards a faulty device, not a faulty network.

Since that survey was only done by consumers with an iPhone 3g this does not prove anything other than the iPhone 3G is a hit or miss on on the 3g network.

Reaction score
He's also reinforcing the point that AT&T needs to speed up 3G deployment

yes i am...that does not mean its the cause of the problems. There could be many reasons why the iPhone is performing poorley, and most of them could be in the phone

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Is there any difference in speed between the different carriers? My speed with Sprint is pretty fast with very few dropped calls.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.